Author Topic: Study Finds Reducing Energy Use Increases Mortality  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Study Finds Reducing Energy Use Increases Mortality
« on: January 28, 2023, 05:58:05 pm »
NEWS•JAN 18, 2023
Study Finds Reducing Energy Use Increases Mortality
In a case study where residents were encouraged to reduce their residential energy use, including the use of air conditioners, the mortality rate increased.
READ THIS STORY IN JAPANESE

As the world warms with climate change, a clear dilemma emerges: While communities should reduce the amount of energy they use in order to mitigate emissions, they will also need to adapt to the changing temperatures by using more energy like through air conditioning. What happens when they don’t take steps to adapt? A new study tackles this question using a unique case study.

After the Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011, Japan gradually shut down all of its nuclear power plants, causing a countrywide power shortage. In response, the government launched large-scale energy-saving campaigns to reduce electricity consumption. The government paid particular attention to reducing the usage of air conditioning because it is the largest contributor to residential electricity consumption in Japan. A pair of researchers dug into the impact of these policies.

https://epic.uchicago.cn/news/study-finds-reducing-energy-use-increases-mortality/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=epicnews
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson