Author Topic: Handling an Immigration-Related issue, Child Marriage, in an Odd Way  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Handling an Immigration-Related issue, Child Marriage, in an Odd Way
Why not fix one federal law instead of 50 state ones?

By David North on January 27, 2023
Suppose you have a problem. You just bought a new house and the lawn needs mowing. You could buy a lawn mower, or hire someone with one to cut the grass. Or you could buy 50 pairs of scissors and then seek to recruit and train, one at a time, 50 kids to cut the lawn.

The answer to the metaphor is obvious, but a pro-migration entity seeking to solve the real problem of child marriages in the U.S. is using the 50-scissor approach in an apparent effort to remedy the situation without impeding the flow of any male migrants from Africa or Muslim nations (in both of which child marriages are common.)

The organization is the Tahirih Center for Justice, in the D.C. suburbs, an entity with $9 million in assets as of December 31, 2021. It is opposed to forced or childhood marriages and its goal is to get the 50 states to — one at a time — raise the minimum age for marriage to 18.

A more rational approach would be to change a single law — the immigration statute — to bar marriages involving anyone below the age 18; in a single stroke, that would both protect citizen girls from exploitation and reduce international migration. That’s a combination that Tahirih apparently wants to avoid.

https://cis.org/North/Handling-ImmigrationRelated-issue-Child-Marriage-Odd-Way
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson