Author Topic: US to buy new Abrams tanks for Ukraine because military has no spares, Pentagon says  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US to buy new Abrams tanks for Ukraine because military has no spares, Pentagon says
By DOUG G. WARE
STARS AND STRIPES • January 26, 2023

WASHINGTON — New Abrams tanks will be purchased by the U.S. to supply to Ukraine because the Defense Department doesn’t have any spares, delaying the shipment as Ukrainian forces prepare for an expected Russian offensive, a Pentagon spokeswoman said Thursday.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin recommended to President Joe Biden to obtain the tanks through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative — a funding program that procures military equipment from industry rather than from existing Defense Department stocks, Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said.

“We just don’t have these tanks available in excess in our U.S. stocks,” she told reporters at the Pentagon.

Singh also said Ukraine will get 31 modified M1A2s Abrams, which is the newest and most sophisticated version of the tank that first entered service in the early 1990s.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2023-01-26/abrams-tanks-ukraine-russia-pentagon-8900716.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US is buying tanks for Ukraine because our military doesn't have enough to give them?  There is something very wrong with this picture but I'm not sure exactly what! :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Uhhhhh,ahm jist ah simple formur enlisted swine,but ah need ta ask,"Whut wood be wrong wid gibbing dem our OLD tanks,n buyin da new ones for us ta keep?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!