Author Topic: When May a Robot Kill? New DOD Policy Tries to Clarify  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When May a Robot Kill? New DOD Policy Tries to Clarify
« on: January 26, 2023, 01:27:36 pm »
When May a Robot Kill? New DOD Policy Tries to Clarify
An updated policy tweaks wording in a bid to dispel confusion.
PATRICK TUCKER | JANUARY 25, 2023 06:18 PM ET
AI & AUTONOMY PENTAGON

Did you think the Pentagon had a hard rule against using lethal autonomous weapons? It doesn’t. But it does have hoops to jump through before such a weapon might be deployed—and, as of Wednesday, a revised policy intended to clear up confusion.

The biggest change in the Defense Department’s new version of its 2012 doctrine on lethal autonomous weapons is a clearer statement that it is possible to build and deploy them safely and ethically but not without a lot of oversight.

That’s meant to clear up the popular perception that there’s some kind of a ban on such weapons. “No such requirement appears in [the 2012 policy] DODD 3000.09, nor any other DOD policy,” wrote Greg Allen, the director of the Artificial Intelligence Governance Project and a senior fellow in the Strategic Technologies Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/01/when-may-robot-kill-new-dod-policy-tries-clarify/382215/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson