Author Topic: Gas-Fired Power Is Now Cheaper Than Offshore Wind Again  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Gas-Fired Power Is Now Cheaper Than Offshore Wind Again
« on: January 26, 2023, 11:22:03 am »
Gas-Fired Power Is Now Cheaper Than Offshore Wind Again
JANUARY 25, 2023
tags: gas, wind power
By Paul Homewood

There are increasingly strong signs that European gas prices are back to pre-war lows and may stop that way. [TTF is the European benchmark]. As Timera explain, part of the reason is demand destruction in Europe and Asia, with gas replaced by coal and slowing economic growth in China. Gradually as well LNG capacity is starting to expand.

Catalyst Digital Energy, the UK energy consultants, agree, with day ahead UK prices down to 178p/therm at the end of December.

Naturally this has an effect on consumer prices for gas, but there is also an effect on power prices too, and these are back down to £160/MWh on the wholesale market.

You will recall the many references a few months ago to the claim that gas power is now nine times as expensive as wind power. As was pointed out at the time, this was based on a very short spike in gas prices in August. For most of last year gas was much cheaper than that.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/01/25/gas-fired-power-is-now-cheaper-than-offshore-wind-again/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Gas-Fired Power Is Now Cheaper Than Offshore Wind Again
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 11:23:30 am »
This must be the REAL reason commiecrats are so hot and bothered about gas stoves, it's cheaper for the consumer. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson