Author Topic: US authorities release asylum seekers after leaking their data online  (Read 113 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US authorities release asylum seekers after leaking their data online

Mon 23 Jan 2023 // 05:01 UTC
IN BRIEF Nearly 3,000 immigrants seeking asylum in the United States have been released from custody after Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials inadvertently published their personal information online.

Records including names, birth dates, nationalities and detention locations of 6,252 immigrants were posted to an area of ICE's website normally used to report detention statistics last November. Further complicating the issues is the nature of the list - the people on it all said they came to the US fleeing torture and persecution and therefore sought asylum.

The records, which remained on ICE's website for approximately five hours, could expose refugees and their families to danger of retaliation if discovered by their persecutors.

ICE said it took action to remedy the situation as soon as it was informed, and that the posting was unintentional.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/23/infosec_news_roundup/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US authorities release asylum seekers after leaking their data online
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 05:29:22 pm »
Yet another unfortunate "leak" of information by the government. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson