Author Topic: Robert Reich Is Wrong: 'Corporate Greed' Isn't To Blame for Egg Prices  (Read 863 times)

Offline Kamaji

Robert Reich Is Wrong: 'Corporate Greed' Isn't To Blame for Egg Prices

The former labor secretary ignores the avian flu epidemic that devastated the supply of egg-laying hens.

JOE LANCASTER

Some laws of economics are ironclad. Competition is a natural regulator of economic activity. When demand outweighs supply, prices will rise. And when prices rise, a prominent progressive will blame it on corporate greed.

For much of 2022, the price of eggs rose dramatically, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. Even as inflation cooled later in the year, the per-dozen price of eggs exploded, from less than $2 in January to $3.11 by August before cracking $4.25 in December.

Over the weekend, Robert Reich, a Berkeley professor of public policy who served as secretary of labor under President Bill Clinton, tweeted his explanation for the price spike: "Corporate greed."

"Cal-Maine, the largest egg producer in the US, is raking record profits," Reich said, "$198 million in its latest quarter. That's a 65% increase from a year ago."

Reich is not alone: The industry group Farm Action has called on regulators to investigate egg companies for price gouging. But there is a much simpler explanation for what's happening here.

A widespread avian flu outbreak devastated the poultry industry in 2022, causing the deaths of more than 43 million hens. December egg inventories were down nearly 30 percent from the year before, just in time for the holiday baking season. Under the basic rules of economics, a persistent drop in supply leading into a time of increased demand is bound to have this result.

It is inherently more likely that these fluctuations in prices are driven by market forces than that egg manufacturers all simultaneously decided to charge more. After all, when egg prices plummeted from $2 to $1.32 in mid-2020, Reich did not argue that this was a result of poultry firms' generosity and not a side effect of a giant decrease in demand at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/01/23/robert-reich-is-wrong-corporate-greed-isnt-to-blame-for-egg-prices/

Online roamer_1

Re: Robert Reich Is Wrong: 'Corporate Greed' Isn't To Blame for Egg Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 11:08:46 pm »
Killing off tons of layers and meat birds has raised demand...
The cost of feed has more than doubled.

They're talking about chicks this spring - normally 2-5 bucks each - costing upward of 20 to 25 dollars each.

But incubators cost the same, so... We will be incubating or encouraging broody hens.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 11:47:48 pm »
Inputs - food, energy - are more expensive.

Output - reduced by bird flu.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 11:57:16 pm »
Killing off tons of layers and meat birds has raised demand...
The cost of feed has more than doubled.

They're talking about chicks this spring - normally 2-5 bucks each - costing upward of 20 to 25 dollars each.

But incubators cost the same, so... We will be incubating or encouraging broody hens.

My kid works with a crew on occasion dumping baby chicks... Thousands of them... Maybe next time he will ask for a few chicks instead of $$... I got 3 acres here next to the house, might raise a few myself if I can keep the stray dogs from killing them.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:30:38 am »
My kid works with a crew on occasion dumping baby chicks... Thousands of them... Maybe next time he will ask for a few chicks instead of $$... I got 3 acres here next to the house, might raise a few myself if I can keep the stray dogs from killing them.

Look at chicken tractors... Which is what we do for meat birds... Or a chickshaw, with portable electric chicken fence (Premiere One) - Though the portable electric fence is a spendy venture.

Thankfully we were converting away from Cornish Cross toward Red Ryders for meat birds. Maybe Red Cornish or America Brus... Would tend more toward the Brus, I think... But we have a few Ryders we could beef up. Meat birds are going to be the hard part... Though you'll get your fill of roosters raising up natural from broody hens.

Anyhow, chicken tractors are a real good way to pasture chickens.  :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 12:35:05 am »
Anyone looking for alternative might look to raising up quail too... you could quite literally feed a family on the quail you can fit in a 12 foot shed. Crazy prolific birds. And you can keep em in  a tiny footprint.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:39:56 am »
When has Robert Reich not been wrong?  His track record is as bad as Paul Krugman's.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 02:29:07 am »
When has Robert Reich not been wrong?  His track record is as bad as Paul Krugman's.
I think Reich's opinions have always been just a little short of being right.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 11:20:11 am »
Dogs are bad, Racoons are the worst.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 12:12:35 am »
I was going to say.

"Robert Reich Is Wrong"? What else is new?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 12:48:11 am »

:yowsa:  :amen: And that is pretty darned bad!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 07:00:27 pm »
Another economic illiterate is Bernie Sanders:
Greg Price
@greg_price11
A presale for tickets to a Bernie Sanders event at the Anthem in DC called "It's Okay To Be Angry About Capitalism" is currently live on Ticketmaster for a price of between $35-$95 lmfao. 😂

1:23 PM · Jan 31, 2023

Greg Price
@greg_price11
He could've AT LEAST not used Ticketmaster, one of the world's worst corporate monopolies, to make the whole thing less ironic.
1:55 PM · Jan 31, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 07:10:23 pm »
To go along with the rich Orwellian irony, the seats closest to the stage are the highest priced.

Some ticketholders will be more equal than others.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 07:26:37 pm »
I think Reich's opinions have always been just a little short of being right.

I see what you did there!
Let it burn.