Author Topic: What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous  (Read 265 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous
« on: January 22, 2023, 02:23:21 pm »
What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous
Story by Brent M. Eastwood • 36m ago

Yes, the A-10 Warthog is an old plane that has legend status. And yet, there is one thing above all that U.S. military loves about this 'flying tank': one really big gun.

If you are the target of the A-10 Thunderbolt II, better known as the Warthog, you may hear a loud buzzing sound. That’s the 30mm cannon that brings death from above. This gun can rip a hole in a vehicle the size of a volleyball. It’s called the GAU-8/A rotary Gatling-style weapon. It’s perfect for strafing enemy armor. This tank plinker was designed to take out Soviet tanks during the Cold War and later deployed with great effect during Operation Desert Storm. It was used handily for close air support over the skies of Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11.

Rate of Fire Is Impressive

The hydraulically-driven GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling-gun was designed by General Electric and is now overseen by General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems. It can fire at an unreal rate of 4,200 rounds per minute under the nose of an A-10. It’s also used on some U.S. Navy ships as a close-in weapons system. The gun has seven 91-inch barrels and fires as the barrel revolves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-makes-the-a-10-warthog-so-dangerous/ar-AA16CpW9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=41b23064524c49ffbc045f702949a34e
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 02:24:43 pm »
Who needs an aircraft like that?  I think the AF should get rid of it and bring back the trusty Sopwith Camel! :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:52:18 pm »
Pretty much everything.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!