Author Topic: Yeah, actually, your plastic coffee pod may not be great for the climate  (Read 809 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Yeah, actually, your plastic coffee pod may not be great for the climate
January 21, 20238:01 AM ET
JULIA SIMON

You may have come across news headlines about coffee this week, like this one from the BBC: "Coffee pod carbon footprint better for planet than filtered brew."

The stories are about a short article published earlier this month that says single-use coffee pods may be better for the climate than other forms of coffee preparation.

The coverage by social media and news outlets came as good news to lots of people who have single-use coffee makers, since they've heard for years that the disposable metal and plastic capsules in their machines harm the environment. Columnist Matthew Yglesias tweeted out: "Vindication".

The problem is, the positive take on coffee pods and the climate might not be true.

Despite the hype, it's hard to know how solid the conclusions are in the article that blew up online this week. That's in part because the article isn't a formal study that has been peer-reviewed, which means it hasn't been vetted yet by other experts in the field. The article's lead author, Luciano Rodrigues Viana, a doctoral student at the University of Quebec at Chico

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/21/1150530714/yeah-actually-your-plastic-coffee-pod-may-not-be-great-for-the-planet
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:01:59 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Yeah, actually, your plastic coffee pod may not be great for the climate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 03:02:33 pm »
 :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 05:01:12 am »
Duh.

I have two electric grinders, and a couple of hand crank ones which still work if the power is out.

They have given years of service and have years left.

If I want one cup, I grind less, or make a full pot and drink less.  I never really got the pod thing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 01:53:21 pm »
So animals, white men, internal combustion engines, plastic, "fossil" fuels, Christmas decorations and now pods.. it would be a shorter list of what is not bad...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:05:36 pm »
I got a Keurig from my mom. I used it a couple of times, then put it in the hall closet. I liked my old Mr Coffee coffee maker.

When my doc told me to cut down my coffee consumption, I brought out the Keurig. It’s fine for one cup a day.

Almost everyone I know has and uses one of these things
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 07:28:15 pm »
Didja all know K-Cups are NOT recyclable?  True.  It takes a LOT of heat to melt them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 07:30:01 pm »
I got a Keurig from my mom. I used it a couple of times, then put it in the hall closet. I liked my old Mr Coffee coffee maker.

When my doc told me to cut down my coffee consumption, I brought out the Keurig. It’s fine for one cup a day.

Almost everyone I know has and uses one of these things

I have a 12-cup coffeepot that has a K-Cup brewer attached.  Sometimes I want an extra cup of the dark stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 07:53:22 pm »
Kaboom....

Too bad for all those left wing Millennials who  love their K-Cups.

Pucker up Butter-Cup.  Brew your joe with grounded baskets like the rest of us.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 08:01:10 pm »
French press.  No need for a fancy (or simple) machine, just a kettle (which you should have anyway for tea), a coffee grinder and the french press itself. 

Personally, I grind my coffee much finer than most French press advocates -- something I picked up on a brief sojourn in Australia, where French presses are the normative way to make coffee, but all the ground coffee comes fine ground.

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 08:04:01 pm »
Who was it again who gave us this self-centered approach to drinking coffee?  Oh, that's right.  Liberals did.  The same people who popularized drinking store-bought water out of plastic bottles.  The very same people who have littered an entire planet with disposable face masks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 08:04:42 pm »
French press.  No need for a fancy (or simple) machine, just a kettle (which you should have anyway for tea), a coffee grinder and the french press itself. 

Personally, I grind my coffee much finer than most French press advocates -- something I picked up on a brief sojourn in Australia, where French presses are the normative way to make coffee, but all the ground coffee comes fine ground.

I go a much simplier route in my java routine, A Bunn with Community Dark Roast in almost Espresso strength.

It's a caffeine jolt like no other.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 08:11:50 pm »

I have something similar, but it's called a Freedom Press.  Stainless steel.  Made in Germany.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 08:12:37 pm »
A Bunn with Community Dark Roast in almost Espresso strength.

Sounds like a Louisiana thing to me.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 08:22:00 pm »

I grind mine to powder, and use a Black and Decker (used to be $20) drip coffeemaker, unbleached filters. It does not get as hot as the Bunn or Mr. Coffee machines, so bitter oils aren't cooked out of the grounds. I also use distilled water.
Working with a Dark Sumatra from Coffee Bean Direct, I get a robust, smooth, very low acid cup of coffee that hits the spot. (No, I don't have any connections to any of the listed companies, except as a customer).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 08:24:00 pm »
Percolated coffee tastes best, but it is hard to find a good percolator (with the glass knob) these days.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 08:37:46 pm »
Sounds like a Louisiana thing to me.

Yep, as a youngster those chemical plant operators said it would put hair on the chest of young engineers.   :silly:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 11:47:45 pm »
I grind mine to powder, and use a Black and Decker (used to be $20) drip coffeemaker, unbleached filters.
When we lived in another town, we used to get some very nice espresso beans at a place that roasted them right there, and we'd grind them fine, like you said. Used a regular drip maker, and it was delicious.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 04:32:45 pm »
Those plastic coffee pods don't make any sense whatsoever except from the perspective of extreme convenience.  Quite honestly, if one can't be bothered to go through the process of making a real pot of coffee, just put some dried coffee in a cup and pour the hot water over it.  Taster's Choice!