Author Topic: Remains From 14th Century Shipwreck Discovered in Israel Contain Hundreds of Artifacts  (Read 357 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Remains From 14th Century Shipwreck Discovered in Israel Contain Hundreds of Artifacts
Story by Madeline Hiltz • Yesterday 1:18 PM

A discovery made by Israeli archeologists truly sounds like it could be the plotline for the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Late in 2021, archeologists discovered the remains of two sunken ships filled with a trove of Roman treasures off the Mediterranean coast.

The ships' cargoes and their remains were found during an underwater survey conducted by the Marine Archeology Unit of the Israeli Antiquities Authority. Over the past two months, hundreds of Roman silver and bronze coins were discovered, dating back to the third century. More than 500 silver coins from the Middle Ages have also been found scattered around.

The ships and coins were discovered in shallow water, at a depth of about four meters. The finds were made near the ancient city of Caesarea, and can be dated to the Roman and Mamluk periods- around 1,700 and 600 years ago, respectively.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/remains-from-14th-century-shipwreck-discovered-in-israel-contain-hundreds-of-artifacts/ar-AA16uBEo?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9282ace43064496986433bc0ca46a428
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:55:38 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson