Author Topic: No, Recycling Will Not Save the Environment  (Read 737 times)

Offline Kamaji

No, Recycling Will Not Save the Environment
« on: January 18, 2023, 05:22:41 pm »
No, Recycling Will Not Save the Environment

Despite what you may have heard, many "recyclables" sent to recycling plants are never recycled at all.

JOHN STOSSEL

For decades, we've been told: recycle!

"If we're not using recycled paper, we're cutting down more trees!" says Lynn Hoffman, co-president of Eureka Recycling.

Recycling paper (or cardboard) does save trees. Recycling aluminum does save energy. But that's about it.

The ugly truth is that many "recyclables" sent to recycling plants are never recycled. The worst is plastic.

Even Greenpeace now says, "Plastic recycling is a dead-end street."

Hoffman often trucks it to a landfill.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/01/18/no-recycling-will-not-save-the-environment/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: No, Recycling Will Not Save the Environment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
"Recycling" is usually dumping the stuff in some $h!th0l3 country on the other side of the world.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 06:10:21 pm »
Recycling paper is FAR more expensive than producing it from trees which grow like grass in many parts of the world.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 06:40:00 pm »
Recycling paper is FAR more expensive than producing it from trees which grow like grass in many parts of the world.

That's right..

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 06:40:57 pm »
What bugs me is glass. the ultimate in recyclable... and they mostly got rid of it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 06:56:57 pm »
The paper industry has whole forests of trees planted and harvested for the purpose of making paper. They're a crop.
Most metals are recyclable, glass, too, but that's about where it ends.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 06:57:49 pm »
"Recycling" is usually dumping the stuff in some $h!th0l3 country on the other side of the world.
Or trucking it out to some place that's outvoted by the city folks, and burying it there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 07:01:46 pm »
The paper industry has whole forests of trees planted and harvested for the purpose of making paper. They're a crop.
Most metals are recyclable, glass, too, but that's about where it ends.

:yowsa: And this has been known for ages. Until we started ignoring economics for political purposes.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 08:03:00 pm »
What bugs me is glass. the ultimate in recyclable... and they mostly got rid of it.

That's always been a curiosity to me as well.

I saw a special not long ago about recycling. The recycling of plastic and how cost ineffective it is. Given some incentives, I think glass recycling could catch on. Sort of like when we used to return coke bottles to get the deposit. It would be as cheap, and possibly cheaper. :shrug:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 08:21:31 pm »

:thumbsup:

I believe "they" got rid of glass because it was so much heavier than the plastic that replaced it, and thus increased shipping and delivery costs.

The part that I don't get is the fast-food restaurants moving from waxed paper cups to plastic cups.  The waxed paper cups were more than serviceable, and degraded on their own.  The plastic replacements don't, and the shipping costs for waxed paper cannot be so much greater than for plastic cups as to make it cost-effective overall.

My favorite, though, is the single-use paper straw that comes wrapped in plastic.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 09:02:20 pm »

That's always been a curiosity to me as well.

I saw a special not long ago about recycling. The recycling of plastic and how cost ineffective it is. Given some incentives, I think glass recycling could catch on. Sort of like when we used to return coke bottles to get the deposit. It would be as cheap, and possibly cheaper. :shrug:

Shoot, glass is just reusable, nearly infinitely. Pick any country home, and I will bet you they still have grandma's mason jars in use. Crocks pass down through generations too.

I STILL take my sweet tea in a Mason jar, every day. Still store it in the fridge in a typical gallon glass jug, just like we always put our milk in. That jug is likely my mother's or maybe even my grandmother's. Glass goes on forever if you care for it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 09:06:31 pm »
Shoot, glass is just reusable, nearly infinitely. Pick any country home, and I will bet you they still have grandma's mason jars in use. Crocks pass down through generations too.

I STILL take my sweet tea in a Mason jar, every day. Still store it in the fridge in a typical gallon glass jug, just like we always put our milk in. That jug is likely my mother's or maybe even my grandmother's. Glass goes on forever if you care for it.

I think you have identified the problem @roamer_1  (Having to replace only what gets broken or lost)

Same deal with cloth baby diapers.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 09:09:52 pm »
:thumbsup:

I believe "they" got rid of glass because it was so much heavier than the plastic that replaced it, and thus increased shipping and delivery costs.

The part that I don't get is the fast-food restaurants moving from waxed paper cups to plastic cups.  The waxed paper cups were more than serviceable, and degraded on their own.  The plastic replacements don't, and the shipping costs for waxed paper cannot be so much greater than for plastic cups as to make it cost-effective overall.

My favorite, though, is the single-use paper straw that comes wrapped in plastic.

Right... but the jar was ultimately reuseable - I can't even begin to tell you how many mayo jars we have laying around.  Pickle jars... If folks didn't have the money for canning jars, them store-bought jars would take a canning lid. Jam jars, olive jars, all of them found use and weren't thrown out.

That residual use is worth paying a bit more for shipping. Even now... we bottle beef tallow in them peach jars from over at the Costco. Great jar for it, and they seal and reseal alright.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 09:15:25 pm »
I think you have identified the problem @roamer_1  (Having to replace only what gets broken or lost)

Same deal with cloth baby diapers.

That's right... And as a father of 3 of 4 babies that had cloth diapers, I can witness... I STILL have wore out diapers out in the shop that work great for absorbent shop rags. I will never run out, and I ain't had a baby in diapers in over 20 years.

Of course, once they hit the rag bin, they are on their last leg... Except that once you use em to sop up an oil spill, they work a treat to start a fire in the wood stove.

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without.
 :beer:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 09:18:19 pm »
Right... but the jar was ultimately reuseable - I can't even begin to tell you how many mayo jars we have laying around.  Pickle jars... If folks didn't have the money for canning jars, them store-bought jars would take a canning lid. Jam jars, olive jars, all of them found use and weren't thrown out.

That residual use is worth paying a bit more for shipping. Even now... we bottle beef tallow in them peach jars from over at the Costco. Great jar for it, and they seal and reseal alright.

I agree that the jar has a lot of use above and beyond just transporting the goods being sold in it the first time; but the value of that secondary use isn't sufficiently captured by the initial producer, and so all they see is price pressure from competitors who go to plastic.

Some products are still sold in glass containers - pasta sauce and pickles, for example - however, not a lot of people keep those old pasta jars and pickle jars any more, so they either have to be recycled, or they go into the landfill.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 09:25:22 pm »
Some products are still sold in glass containers - pasta sauce and pickles, for example - however, not a lot of people keep those old pasta jars and pickle jars any more, so they either have to be recycled, or they go into the landfill.

I do... I guess it is in how you're raised.  :shrug:

I buy my pickles from Wallyworld on purpose.... They are a tall/thin 1/2 gallon jug that is PERFECT for dry storage in the cupboards. All my pasta, all my rice, All my beans are in them jugs in my cupboards... Now, that's for working with - all that is in bigger cans in the pantry, but even in the pantry there is plenty that gets into them tall jars.