Author Topic: Why Only 16% of Gen Z Are Proud to Be an American, and What We Should Do About It  (Read 280 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Only 16% of Gen Z Are Proud to Be an American, and What We Should Do About It
Jarrett Stepman / @JarrettStepman / January 13, 2023

A recent poll found that only 16% of Gen Zers felt "pride" in country. That's something that surely brings a tear to Lady Liberty's eye. (Photo: Grant Faint/Getty Images)

COMMENTARY BY

Jarrett Stepman

Jarrett Stepman is a columnist for The Daily Signal. He is also the author of the book "The War on History: The Conspiracy to Rewrite America's Past." Send an email to Jarrett

Only 16% of Gen Zers are “proud” to live in the United States.

That finding comes from a recent Morning Consult poll, which assessed generational attitudes about the United States. The poll shows that there has been roughly a 20-percentage-point drop of pride in country every generation since the Baby Boomers, 73% of whom express pride in the country.

Many on social media noted with exasperation that those who say they have no pride in country are in no hurry to move somewhere else.

It’s true, our success as a nation has apparently led to a great deal of ingratitude and navel-gazing. However, the poll points to a deeper problem.

Even if the poll is off or exaggerated, it’s hard to ignore the reality and the trend. With each passing generation, there’s less connection to country and less patriotism. With this comes enormous—and likely terrible—implications.

First, for those insistent on upholding the “liberal international order,” as some call it, that’s going to be hard to do when so few people are willing to support or defend even their own nation. It also should come as no surprise that the military is having a recruitment crisis. Could you imagine what would happen if we had to reinstate the draft?

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/01/13/why-only-16-of-gen-z-are-proud-to-be-an-american-and-what-we-should-do-about-it/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:11:56 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is the Peace Corps still going?

Send them to some 3rd world latrine and let them think about America for a year or two.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis