Author Topic: U.S. Coast Guard in Florida intercepts hundreds fleeing Cuba and Haiti by sea  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

U.S. Coast Guard in Florida intercepts hundreds fleeing Cuba and Haiti by sea
UPDATED ON: JANUARY 13, 2023 / 7:28 AM / CBS/AP

The Coast Guard returned another 177 Cuban migrants who were caught at sea off Florida to the island on Thursday, while a group of about two dozen Haitians swam ashore in Miami.

The Cuban migrants were all intercepted separately off the coast earlier this month, according to a Coast Guard news release. They were repatriated by two Coast Guard cutters.

Twenty-five Haitians who had traveled by sailboat from Port-de-Paix, Haiti, swam ashore at Virginia Key, a small island just southeast of downtown Miami, and were taken into the custody of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, agency spokesman Michael Selva said.

Good Samaritans among island beachgoers helped some of the migrants ashore with small boats and jet skis, Selva said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-coast-guard-intercepts-migrants-cuba-haiti-sea-florida/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson