Author Topic: Biden’s DOE Funnels $50 Million to Green Energy Company That Sources Materials From China Energy Dep  (Read 171 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden’s DOE Funnels $50 Million to Green Energy Company That Sources Materials From China
Energy Department said funding would 'ensure our clean energy future is American-made'

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, President Joe Biden, and energy adviser Amos Hochstein / Getty ImagesCollin Anderson • January 11, 2023 1:50 pm

The Biden Energy Department announced in October that a $50 million grant to a lithium battery company would "ensure our clean energy future is American-made." But the company sources its battery materials in China, highlighting the difficulty the administration faces in ushering in any sort of green energy transition without boosting America’s top geopolitical foe.

The Energy Department's lucrative award went to Amprius Technologies, a California-based company that has leaned on Chinese manufacturing. The company built a battery factory in the Chinese city of Wuxi in 2014 after striking a $40 million joint venture with the city's public investment arm, a move that Amprius CEO Kang Sun said at the time would help the company cut costs. Amprius also uses a spin-off company in Nanjing to produce its battery materials, while acknowledging in corporate filings that U.S. sanctions could one day threaten its ability to import those materials.

Amprius's dependence on China reflects the broader challenges facing the Biden administration as it attempts to spur growth in the Chinese-dominated green energy industry. President Joe Biden's so-called Inflation Reduction Act, for example, offers tax credits to electric vehicles made in North America. But starting next year, vehicles that are made with Chinese battery materials won't qualify for the credits, and American car manufacturers say they can't meet the deadline. Ford, for example, plans to use Chinese batteries for its electric Mustang and F-150—models Biden himself has showcased—and the company and others are fighting the rule change.

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/bidens-doe-funnels-50-million-to-green-energy-company-that-sources-materials-from-china/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 01:26:55 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson