Author Topic: The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone  (Read 2789 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 06:11:38 pm »
I frequently do a passable impersonation of Bob Dylan doing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" at parties....
I'm wondering why there has never been a Bob Dylan imitation contest? I'll bet that it would be a lot of fun to watch. Especially, if someone was singing Itsy Bitsy Spider. I'm laughing now thinking about it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 06:21:55 pm »
"Roy Orbison is the greatest singer who ever lived!"

Elvis Presley

I Agree!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 06:27:35 pm »
I got the feeling that there was something of an "agenda" with that list....

My personal quirk with singers is that I never really liked Freddie Mercury's voice.  To me, there's a preening quality to it that is just annoying.

Also would much rather listen to Kate Bush sing that a whole lot of female (or male) singers on that list.

Agree 100%.  My list above was on techincal merit alone.  If the list was just on my personal favorites, only Daughtry, and maybe Rodgers would list out

There were a few others that I thought on technical aspects alone that were sadly missing.

One being Enya.  I am not a fan of New Age music, but her along with Whitney Houston are maybe the only ones I have ever heard who have the ability to hold that .1-.3 Hz crisp warble with any power or volume.  That is a trait of perfect vocal chord inflection.

Another one overlooked was the country crooner Jim Reeves (1923-1964).  This guy had a phenomenal expansive perfect voice ever for a man.  I liken his singing to a mirror like silver bell.  No distortion, perfection in the highest quality.  Here is a random example ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCCvN8YDuc

And not to nic pick further, but I didn't see any opera singers, who might want to stake a claim too.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 07:31:32 pm »
I'm wondering why there has never been a Bob Dylan imitation contest? I'll bet that it would be a lot of fun to watch. Especially, if someone was singing Itsy Bitsy Spider. I'm laughing now thinking about it.

You would love my version.  happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2023, 07:31:55 pm »
I don't like Queen. I can't stand "Bohemian Rhapsody."
Nevertheless, I will admit that Mercury had a pretty good voice.  Just that overall Queen stank as a band.

I wouldn't claim he had a bad voice.  He clearly had great range, etc..  I personally just didn't enjoy his voice, whether it was the tone, his phrasing, or whatever.

I'd take Paul Rodgers over him 10/10, though whoever thought Rodgers could sing Queen's material was nuts because he didn't have anything close to Mercury's range.   But the tone of his voice was just killer to me.  Love Gabriel's voice, Greg Lake before he blew it out, etc..

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2023, 07:34:01 pm »
I wouldn't claim he had a bad voice.  He clearly had great range, etc..  I personally just didn't enjoy his voice, whether it was the tone, his phrasing, or whatever.

I'd take Paul Rodgers over him 10/10, though whoever thought Rodgers could sing Queen's material was nuts because he didn't have anything close to Mercury's range.   But the tone of his voice was just killer to me.  Love Gabriel's voice, Greg Lake before he blew it out, etc..

Sadly we lost Greg Lake.  Keith Emerson too. 8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2023, 07:59:04 pm »

I’m not a huge fan of Mercury either. Much prefer Paul Rodgers. He’s one of the best rock singers.
Does anyone know if either Brad Delp (Boston lead singer) or Marilyn McCoo of The 5th Dimension were on the list? She was Whitney before Whitney was Whitney. Phenomenal voice.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2023, 09:08:16 pm »
Steve Marriott

Incredible range.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2023, 09:34:17 pm »
No Carl Wilson? Listen to "I Can Hear Music" or "Good Vibrations" for one of the purest voices ever. At least Brian made the list.

And as much as I love Leonard Cohen, I would never put him on this list.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline berdie

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 10:40:21 pm »
It was explained to me once by a very respected musician that the vocalist is very much like another instrument. They should complement the song. Consequently, I'm not really interested in their range, etc. (heck, my voice has a several octave range if I'm annoyed, lol) If their goal is to take over the music it doesn't count with me. The vocal gymnastics exhibited by many, for instance.

Just as a side note...not really relevant at all...I am more likely to listen to male vocalists with deep voices. Johnny Cash, Waylon, Toby Keith, Tennessee Ernie Ford. Same with female. Patsy Cline, Cassandra Williams, MaMa Cass.

Although I usually listen to classic rock...I generally find the octave range  that appeals to me in older C&W, jazz.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the list. Rolling Stone, well ya know. :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 10:44:49 pm »
It was explained to me once by a very respected musician that the vocalist is very much like another instrument. They should complement the song. Consequently, I'm not really interested in their range, etc. (heck, my voice has a several octave range if I'm annoyed, lol) If their goal is to take over the music it doesn't count with me. The vocal gymnastics exhibited by many, for instance.

Just as a side note...not really relevant at all...I am more likely to listen to male vocalists with deep voices. Johnny Cash, Waylon, Toby Keith, Tennessee Ernie Ford. Same with female. Patsy Cline, Cassandra Williams, MaMa Cass.

Although I usually listen to classic rock...I generally find the octave range  that appeals to me in older C&W, jazz.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the list. Rolling Stone, well ya know. :laugh:

Just so you know @berdie I didn't read it either.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2023, 10:52:49 pm »
Just so you know @berdie I didn't read it either.

:beer:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2023, 11:01:44 pm »
It was explained to me once by a very respected musician that the vocalist is very much like another instrument. They should complement the song.

I would agree that it complements the music like another musical instrument.  Italian opera is a prime example.  Plenty of people who don't know any Italian beyond 'bravo' have no problem sitting through an opera without understanding a word.

The rock band that mimics this concept the most is YES.  Their lyrics make zero sense, yet it sounds so awesome.

Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.
Make the white queen run so fast she hasn't got time to make you a wife.
'Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and its news is captured
For the queen to use.
Move me on to any black square,
Use me any time you want,
Just remember that the goal
'Sfor us to capture all we want, anywhere,
Yea, yea, yea.
Don't surround yourself with yourself,
Move on back two squares,
Send an Instant Karma to me,
Initial it with loving care
Don't surround
Yourself.
'Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and
its news is captured
For the queen to use.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2023, 11:59:50 pm »
I would agree that it complements the music like another musical instrument.  Italian opera is a prime example.  Plenty of people who don't know any Italian beyond 'bravo' have no problem sitting through an opera without understanding a word.

The rock band that mimics this concept the most is YES.  Their lyrics make zero sense, yet it sounds so awesome.

Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.
Make the white queen run so fast she hasn't got time to make you a wife.
'Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and its news is captured
For the queen to use.
Move me on to any black square,
Use me any time you want,
Just remember that the goal
'Sfor us to capture all we want, anywhere,
Yea, yea, yea.
Don't surround yourself with yourself,
Move on back two squares,
Send an Instant Karma to me,
Initial it with loving care
Don't surround
Yourself.
'Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and
its news is captured
For the queen to use.

Loved that album and song.  Jon Anderson was a nut.  I partied with the Keyboardist, Tony Kaye once.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 05:05:55 am »
Sadly we lost Greg Lake.  Keith Emerson too. 8888crybaby

Both in pretty sad ways, too.

Lake's voice as a young man was incredible.  On the 50th anniversary of the band, King Crimson put out a version of their song "Epitaph", from 1969, with only Greg Lake's vocal track, and no other instrumentation until the very end.  Amazingly good.

There's an intro by a producer, but the vocals themselves start at 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssUWSiMlFBU

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2023, 05:14:54 am »
Loved that album and song.  Jon Anderson was a nut.  I partied with the Keyboardist, Tony Kaye once.

I guess Tony Kaye partied with a few too many people -- apparently bad alcohol issues.  The lyrics made sense to Anderson, but unless you knew where he was going, good luck figuring it out on your own!  And even then, there were some head-scratchers in there.  But like you said, to him, the sound of the words was as important as their literal meaning, so sometimes it was just stream of consciousness of whatever sounded good.

I love classic-era Yes -- Bruford's drumming was perfectly suited to keeping those weird time signatures moving and transitioning.  Even on Yours is No Disgrace, which you mentioned earlier, if you focus on Bruford's drumming you can see exactly how he keeps it moving along with galloping drums and touch on the cymbals while still remaining in the background.

My favorite song of theirs is Close to the Edge.  It's a bit out there for some, but I've been listening to it for 40+ years and still hear something new each time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:54:35 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2023, 06:34:40 am »
I got the feeling that there was something of an "agenda" with that list....

My personal quirk with singers is that I never really liked Freddie Mercury's voice.  To me, there's a preening quality to it that is just annoying.

Also would much rather listen to Kate Bush sing that a whole lot of female (or male) singers on that list.

Kate Bush was a very special voice (and I have the posters to prove she was one of my faves)..They did put her down as #60 at least... She wasn't much on public appearances (and that was ok)... I would add Elizabeth of the Cocteau Twins. @Maj. Bill Martin

https://youtu.be/1uWbEe7U3ZY

https://youtu.be/Jc8en0fx0wE

Just an observance, but 10 of the top 11 were of a certain color... (with one Hispanic thrown in for good measure).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:48:13 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 04:02:42 am »
Kate Bush was a very special voice (and I have the posters to prove she was one of my faves)..They did put her down as #60 at least... She wasn't much on public appearances (and that was ok)...

I was arguing with some people last year that I thought she was the most deserving nominee for the Hall of Fame because of her originality, etc..  They basically said "Kate Who".  Then the Stranger Things broke that summer, she got a lot more notoriety, and then the tune changed.

Just an observance, but 10 of the top 11 were of a certain color... (with one Hispanic thrown in for good measure).

Exactly.  And I don't think that was an accident.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2023, 09:52:30 pm »

Rodgers has a good voice. Not one of my favorite bands, but Bad Company had some decent songs.
Didn't hear enough of Greg Lake. What I discovered over the years is that (like the heavy metal guy who sang Sounds of Silence) many singers adapt their voices to the songs they're singing.
I never thought much of Chubby Checker, but he's actually got a very strong voice when he wasn't singing about doing the Twist.
Some people who get great ratings are just not very good singers. Dylan for one, Mick Jagger is another one. Jagger's voice is just too thin.
Neither McCartney nor Lennon were great singers. But a lot of their songs were great, and their voices fit the songs.
I don't know if a singer with a great voice can overcome poor material, but a great singer can make a mediocre song sound a lot better.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:52 pm »
Roger Hodgson

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2023, 10:47:25 pm »
Ian Anderson

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-