Author Topic: The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone  (Read 2821 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone
« on: January 07, 2023, 04:56:01 pm »
The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time
From Sinatra to SZA, from R&B to salsa to alt-rock
January 1, 2023
200 Best Singers of All Time

Aretha Franklin described her mission as a singer like this: “Me with my hand outstretched, hoping someone will take it.” That kind of deep, empathetic bond between artist and listener is the most elemental connection in music. And you can think of our list of the 200 Greatest Singers of All Time as a celebration of that bond. These are the vocalists that have shaped history and defined our lives — from smooth operators to raw shouters, from gospel to punk, from Sinatra to Selena to SZA.

When Rolling Stone first published its list of the 100 Greatest Singers in 2008, we used an elaborate voting process that included input from well-known musicians. The results skewed toward classic rock and singers from the Sixties and Seventies. This new list was compiled our staff and key contributors, and it encompasses 100 years of pop music as an ongoing global conversation, where iconic Indian playback singer Lata Mangeshkar lands between Amy Winehouse and Johnny Cash, and salsa queen Celia Cruz is up there in the rankings with Prince and Marvin Gaye. You might notice that, say, there isn’t any opera on our list — that’s because our purview is pop music writ large, meaning that almost all the artists on this list had significant careers as crossover stars making popular music for the masses.

Before you start scrolling (and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List. Talent is impressive; genius is transcendent. Sure, many of the people here were born with massive pipes, perfect pitch, and boundless range. Others have rougher, stranger, or more delicate instruments. As our write-up for the man who ended up at Number 112 notes, “Ozzy Osbourne doesn’t have what most people would call a good voice, but boy does he have a great one.” That could apply to more than a few people here. 

In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy. A voice can be gorgeous like Mariah Carey’s, rugged like Toots Hibbert’s, understated like Willie Nelson’s, slippery and sumptuous like D’Angelo’s, or bracing like Bob Dylan’s. But in the end, the singers behind it are here for one reason: They can remake the world just by opening their mouths.

more
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-singers-all-time-1234642307/rosalia-4-1234642320/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 05:21:26 pm »
My credibility meter stopped when the words  "Rolling Stone". rolled in.

These clowns don't even closely understand or recognize what constitutes musical talent.  I've known that for over 40 years.  I used to subscribe to this parakeet cage fodder back then for rock music news.

For S & G's, read the list and pan and back-think woke and political backstories with each.  I think you might get the picture.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:22:22 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 05:25:36 pm »
My credibility meter stopped when the words  "Rolling Stone". rolled in.

These clowns don't even closely understand or recognize what constitutes musical talent.  I've known that for over 40 years.  I used to subscribe to this parakeet cage fodder back then for rock music news.

For S & G's, read the list and pan and back-think woke and political backstories with each.  I think you might get the picture.

I never heard of the last 150 of them.... :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 05:39:35 pm »
I never heard of the last 150 of them.... :shrug:

As much as I have kept up with music through the years, I hadn't heard of 56 of the 200 of them.  And as high as #18.

Just file this one under "worthless"

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
In Lando’s world - a few favs that come to mind:

- Dean Martin - so cool
- Roy Orbison - the range
- Freddie Mercury - check out his live performances of “Who Wants to Live Forever”
- Steve Perry - yeah, awesome
- Bobby Hatfield - Righteous
- Whitney Houston - breathtaking

There are others, but these came to mind.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:47:31 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 05:50:13 pm »
It’s a hogwash list.  Beyoncé is listed way higher than Karen Carpenter?! Karen with a buttery smooth, pitch-perfect voice (no auto-tune needed)?
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 05:54:56 pm »
What a waste of bandwidth.  Rolling Stone proving again that they don't know jack about music.  Bob Dylan at #15?  My cat has a better voice.

And where is Steve Marriot?  Ian Anderson?  Tony Bennett?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 06:01:42 pm »
These kinds of lists are almost always garbage.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 06:28:58 pm »
Anyone notice.....

I am not a Celine Dion fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact this songbird, and her 5 octave perfect pitch range is missing.

Hmmm....

Ohh and how about Pat Benetar with same credentials...

I think a major theme of the list could be characterized......

Not only  White Men can't Jump.....   Apparently they can't sing either,

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 03:48:28 pm »
These kinds of lists are almost always garbage.
:thumbsup:
 I remember back in the sixties when RS wrote an article about Mike Bloomfield naming his as one of a handful of the best guitarists in THE WORLD!!!
I had just started practicing the guitar and thought maybe these guys knew what they were talking about.
Now Bloomfield was a pretty good blues/rock guitarist, but my God, among a handful of the best in the world????!!!!
When I got into guitar I discovered how many great guitarists there actually were in the world. I would bet many of them were better than Bloomfield but few ever heard of them.
Of course, most of these "greatest ever" lists just reflect the  views of whomever is popular at the time.
Somebody in Minnesota drew up a list of the five greatest singers to ever come out of Minnesota. Bob Dylan was on the list, Judy Garland didn't make it.
How's that for being obtuse, obstinate, obdurate, and obnoxious.
Dylan doesn't belong on any "greatest singers" list. He could barely carry a tune then, and is almost totally unlistenable now. I'm saying this as a Dylan fan from way back.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 03:51:23 pm »
What a waste of bandwidth.  Rolling Stone proving again that they don't know jack about music.  Bob Dylan at #15?  My cat has a better voice.

And where is Steve Marriot?  Ian Anderson?  Tony Bennett?
If Tony Bennett isn't on a list of the ten greatest singers much less the top 200, then the people making up the list are ignorant aholes.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 04:03:42 pm »
None of the top five greatest rock voices of the sixties (Eric Burdon, Joe Cocker, John Kay) are on the list. Alex Chilton was another great rock singer. He's not on the list.
Roy Orbison was probably the single greatest rock voice of the sixties, and there's a ton of people ahead of him.
That tells you the (lack of) intelligence of the people who made up this list

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 11:20:15 pm »
TL/DR

I ain't sifting through many, many pages of BS to get to the top-ten fruit.  I'd rather pick apart snow crabs.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 11:24:27 pm »
It’s a hogwash list.  Beyoncé is listed way higher than Karen Carpenter?! Karen with a buttery smooth, pitch-perfect voice (no auto-tune needed)?
:yowsa:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 12:22:59 am »
Linda Ronstadt at #47?
Emmylou Harris at #79?
Janis Joplin at #78?
Roy Orbison at #71?
Robert Plant at #68?
Steve Perry at #82?
Karen Carpenter at #132?

Beyonce at #8? Above Otis Redding, Al Green, Little Richard, Freddy Mercury, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Marvin Gaye and Patsy freakin' Cline? Are they high?

They are seriously confused between singing ability and entertainer.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:28:48 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 01:09:19 am »
Linda Ronstadt at #47?
Emmylou Harris at #79?
Janis Joplin at #78?
Roy Orbison at #71?
Robert Plant at #68?
Steve Perry at #82?
Karen Carpenter at #132?

Beyonce at #8? Above Otis Redding, Al Green, Little Richard, Freddy Mercury, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Marvin Gaye and Patsy freakin' Cline? Are they high?

They are seriously confused between singing ability and entertainer.
They try to claim that there's a difference between having a great voice and being a great singer.
As if Bob Dylan is somebody you'd copy if you wanted to be a great singer. Even in his glory years when his voice was passable, on many songs Dylan basically "sang" like he was announcing roll call.
I seriously doubt most of the yahoos who made up this list ever heard many of the older singers they give poor ratings to or completely ignore.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 02:17:47 am »
An eclectic group to be sure, but with Seger and Dio in the top 50, along with quite a few others that I know of and like, I'm in...didn't run the rest, but they appear to know great rock singers.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 02:37:35 am »
I'll only comment around my knowledge around rock music and at least in that section IMO... (singing criteria based on (1)tone, (2) meter, (3) range, (4) phrasing, (5) vocal inflection (6)interphase with instrumentation, and (7) charisma)

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Pat Benetar
3. Roy Orbison
4. David Draiman
5. Justin Hayward
6. Roger Daltrey
7. Paul Rodgers
8. Stevie Nicks
9. Ian Gillian
10. Lou Gramm

Again, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 03:00:48 am by catfish1957 »

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 02:42:13 am »
I'll only comment around my knowledge around rock music and at least in that section IMO... (singing criteria based on (1)tone, (2) meter, (3) range, (4) phrasing, (5) vocal inflection (6)interpahse with instrumentation, and (7) charisma)

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Pat Benetar
3. Roy Orbison
4. David Draiman
5. Justin Hayward
6. Roger Daltrey
7. Paul Rodgers
8. Stevie Nicks
9. Ian Gillian
10. Lou Gramm

Again, just my opinion.
I can whole hardheartedly agree with quite a few on your list...don't know of #4 & 5, but that's just my ignorance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:43:58 am by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 02:50:35 am »
I can whole hardheartedly agree with quite a few on your list...don't know of #4 & 5, but that's just my ignorance.

Hayward was (is?) the lead singer of The Moody Blues

Draiman is the singer of the band Disturbed.  This is his most famous number..  A Simon and Garfunkel cover....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:59:21 am by catfish1957 »

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 02:59:29 am »
Hayward was (is?) the lead singer of The Moody Blues

Draiman is the singer of the band Disturbed.  This is his most famous number..  A Simon and Garfunkel remake....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg
OMG!  Awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 03:13:14 am »
Unless I missed it, no Geoff Tate of Queensryche. In his prime nobody could touch him.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 03:31:20 am »
They try to claim that there's a difference between having a great voice and being a great singer.
As if Bob Dylan is somebody you'd copy if you wanted to be a great singer. Even in his glory years when his voice was passable, on many songs Dylan basically "sang" like he was announcing roll call.
I seriously doubt most of the yahoos who made up this list ever heard many of the older singers they give poor ratings to or completely ignore.

I frequently do a passable impersonation of Bob Dylan doing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" at parties....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 02:33:51 pm »
I got the feeling that there was something of an "agenda" with that list....

My personal quirk with singers is that I never really liked Freddie Mercury's voice.  To me, there's a preening quality to it that is just annoying.

Also would much rather listen to Kate Bush sing that a whole lot of female (or male) singers on that list.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 06:09:22 pm »
I got the feeling that there was something of an "agenda" with that list....

My personal quirk with singers is that I never really liked Freddie Mercury's voice.  To me, there's a preening quality to it that is just annoying.

Also would much rather listen to Kate Bush sing that a whole lot of female (or male) singers on that list.
I don't like Queen. I can't stand "Bohemian Rhapsody."
Nevertheless, I will admit that Mercury had a pretty good voice.  Just that overall Queen stank as a band.