Author Topic: ‘Students Can’t Even Express An Opinion’: Major University Sued Over Speech Policies  (Read 268 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Students Can’t Even Express An Opinion’: Major University Sued Over Speech Policies
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.58.42 AM
(Screenshot/YouTube/Oklahoma State University)

ALEXA SCHWERHA
CONTRIBUTOR
January 11, 2023
10:47 AM ET

Oklahoma State University (OSU) violated students’ First and Fourteenth amendment rights by enforcing policies which police speech concerning political and social issues, according to a lawsuit filed by legal group Speech First on Tuesday.

OSU enforces policies which “deter, suppress, and punish speech about political and social issues of the day,” according to the lawsuit filed in the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma. It specifically challenges three issues Speech First alleges violates student speech rights: the harassment policy, the computer use policy and the Bias Incident Response system. (RELATED: Over Half Of Colleges Encourage Students To Snitch On Each Other: REPORT)

“Oklahoma State’s policies are clearly designed to monitor, investigate, and restrict student speech all together,” Cherise Trump, Speech First executive director, said in a press release. “The fact that students can’t even express an opinion without worrying that another student can use a campus policy to report on them shows us that the school’s administrators have no interest in protecting students’ rights.”

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/11/oklahoma-state-university-sued-free-speech-policy-violations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline verga

I'm sorry I find this a touch amusing after all the attacks on Conservatives.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.