Author Topic: Keto, Ketovore, Carnivore, BBB&E or other low-carb diets, anyone?  (Read 976 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Been looking into this for a while. Talked to a couple of people in real life who have benefited from this way of eating. Was curious to find out if anyone here has been on any of these low-carb plans and what your experience was. Difficult adjustment? Results? Lab numbers improve or decrease? Hard to find a doctor supporting the program? Etc.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online roamer_1

Re: Keto, Ketovore, Carnivore, BBB&E or other low-carb diets, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 11:57:25 pm »
Been looking into this for a while. Talked to a couple of people in real life who have benefited from this way of eating. Was curious to find out if anyone here has been on any of these low-carb plans and what your experience was. Difficult adjustment? Results? Lab numbers improve or decrease? Hard to find a doctor supporting the program? Etc.

I have come close  to carnivore, but never straight at it. I do know folks that have had a marvelous reset from going carnivore, strictly for that purpose. A gal I know had become so allergic that her body was kicking back broth... She went carnivore for a year, lost a bunch of weight, and started introducing other foods starting with organic veggies and later fruits...

It was about a three year process en-toto, and while her diet changed dramatically - even her preferences changed profoundly - I do not believe she is allergic to anything anymore, and is not restricted in anything anymore - And that is a remarkable thing.

My diet is more like a natural forager nowadays - I tend to eat what is available according to the seasons - way less tomatoes right now as an instance - I tend to eat them mostly around harvest... This time of year I run heavy to meat and fermented foods - because that is what I have around in abundance...

Not perfectly - and I am no true-believer - I will still have a pizza now and then. But I do think it is healthy to pay mind to your landscape, and what it provides, according to the season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:59:16 pm by roamer_1 »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 12:12:24 am »
I went low-carb, high-meat for a few months a few years ago. Lost quite a few pounds on it, but had weird side effects, so I went back to a more balanced diet afterward.

I had a guy who went to my school who was hardcore into the keto diet, spread all sorts of propaganda about it. Then he ended up in the hospital with rhabdomyolosis, which destroys the muscles. He shut up about it after that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 03:19:19 am »
I haven't been able to find exactly what a keto diet looks like, but am wary of any unbalanced  diet, i.e., all protein  or all veggies.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:48:55 am »
In Dec 2021 I had a physical (due to fed mandates and the purported "vaxx" to see if I was physically able to handle it) where I was notified that I was on the verge of a stroke.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but it was some 200 over 100 something.

I was way overweight and BP was so off the charts they used the electronic version twice and switched to the analog to verify.  I was a walking dead man.

I cut practically all carbs from my diet and exercised my ass off.  Lost ~50 pounds and dropped my BP to near normal levels in just about 8 months.

For me, proteins and veggies seemed to work best.  I guess that comes closest to Paleo.  I have reached a point where I now I have "cheat days", but each person is different.

DISCIPLINE!  Figure out what works for you and go for it!

I wish you the best in your pursuit of better health.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 08:00:38 am »
I have come close  to carnivore, but never straight at it. I do know folks that have had a marvelous reset from going carnivore, strictly for that purpose. A gal I know had become so allergic that her body was kicking back broth... She went carnivore for a year, lost a bunch of weight, and started introducing other foods starting with organic veggies and later fruits...

It was about a three year process en-toto, and while her diet changed dramatically - even her preferences changed profoundly - I do not believe she is allergic to anything anymore, and is not restricted in anything anymore - And that is a remarkable thing.

My diet is more like a natural forager nowadays - I tend to eat what is available according to the seasons - way less tomatoes right now as an instance - I tend to eat them mostly around harvest... This time of year I run heavy to meat and fermented foods - because that is what I have around in abundance...

Not perfectly - and I am no true-believer - I will still have a pizza now and then. But I do think it is healthy to pay mind to your landscape, and what it provides, according to the season.

Thanks for sharing that interesting account of your friend's experience, @roamer_1 . I've seen so many testimonies where people have reversed autoimmune conditions on one of these low-carb plans.

I believe there is wisdom in availing yourself of foods that are in season. When you have a cheat day, do you pay a price? There are those who do, and that tends to keep them on the straight and narrow, so to speak. I love chocolate, but since I discovered it was one of the triggers that caused my debilitating migraines, I swore it off forever. Never thought I could, but when the price is so high to step out of line, I find it amazingly easy to refrain from eating it.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 08:32:09 am »
I went low-carb, high-meat for a few months a few years ago. Lost quite a few pounds on it, but had weird side effects, so I went back to a more balanced diet afterward.

I had a guy who went to my school who was hardcore into the keto diet, spread all sorts of propaganda about it. Then he ended up in the hospital with rhabdomyolosis, which destroys the muscles. He shut up about it after that.

@jmyrlefuller

I researched that condition that ended your classmate up in the the hospital, but I was unable to find a correlation between his diet and his illness.

I've heard of people having something known as the keto flu when they go on the diet. Some people have zero problem with it; others feel puny for a short period of time. I have a friend who said she never felt worse, but she didn't tell me how long she was on it. Plus she was leaning toward veganism because she couldn't bear the thought of eating an animal.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 08:40:59 am »
I haven't been able to find exactly what a keto diet looks like, but am wary of any unbalanced  diet, i.e., all protein  or all veggies.

@mountaineer

I had pretty much the same notion, but since I've been casually studying the low-carb life, I find my point of view is changing. Plus I've had a couple of friends in real life who have done magnificently health-wise. Yes, the weight loss is a great benefit, but the maladies (low energy, brain fog, reflux, diabetes) seem to have completely reversed. I have another friend who was on some version several years back and his diabetes reversed. Then things started happening in his life and he got off the wagon and the diabetes returned. It seems to me that a lot of people who have diabetes don't take it too seriously, or at least seriously enough to make the adjustments their doctors have told them to.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 08:48:01 am »
In Dec 2021 I had a physical (due to fed mandates and the purported "vaxx" to see if I was physically able to handle it) where I was notified that I was on the verge of a stroke.  I don't recall the exact numbers, but it was some 200 over 100 something.

I was way overweight and BP was so off the charts they used the electronic version twice and switched to the analog to verify.  I was a walking dead man.

I cut practically all carbs from my diet and exercised my ass off.  Lost ~50 pounds and dropped my BP to near normal levels in just about 8 months.

For me, proteins and veggies seemed to work best.  I guess that comes closest to Paleo.  I have reached a point where I now I have "cheat days", but each person is different.

DISCIPLINE!  Figure out what works for you and go for it!

I wish you the best in your pursuit of better health.

Wow, @SZonian! It seems as if the timing of your physical was orchestrated from on high! I'm so glad things worked out so well for you. Such a close call!

I'm just about to make the leap. I just haven't decided yet which route to take. That's why I was trying to get a conversation going.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 09:02:53 am »
The first time I saw anything about keto was a couple of years ago when a vid about reversing fatty liver disease ended up in my list of recommended videos. Don't know why since I'd never researched it or never really gave it much thought. But I watched it and thought, "I don't know about this." Then other things started showing up as recommended videos. One thing lead to another until I started following and semi-following a handful of low-carb doctors and regular non doctors.

It's been an interesting journey, and my belief system had to take some hits. Then one day I found this vid and became convinced that, yet again (as in the climate change "science"), that we'd been hoodwinked by our government's food pyramid and what the results of that lie have wrought. Little fragments of this info is started to end up out in the open recently, so I took it as a reminder that I'm traveling in the right direction. I'll likely be taking the plunge soon, but I have to see my new doctor on my new insurance plan to see if she's going to be supportive. If not, I may have to shop around for one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQAHITIUhg&t=3s

@roamer_1
@jmyrlefuller
@mountaineer
@SZonian

P.S. I often find a treasure chest of info in the comment section of the low-carb vids. This one's full of great comments.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:18:00 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 12:18:42 pm »
I believe there is wisdom in availing yourself of foods that are in season. When you have a cheat day, do you pay a price? There are those who do, and that tends to keep them on the straight and narrow, so to speak. I love chocolate, but since I discovered it was one of the triggers that caused my debilitating migraines, I swore it off forever. Never thought I could, but when the price is so high to step out of line, I find it amazingly easy to refrain from eating it.

Actually @AllThatJazzZ , my journey is only obliquely tied to my arthritic maladies. Having twice achieved near-normal conditions in that regard (since Yah gave me a get-out-of-the-wheelchair-free card), I kinda know the game plan already for the next round of that. That's just about getting up and starting walking again, when climate and conditions align... And then weeks and weeks of screaming-yellow-bobsled-run-from-hell pain... In several and varied forms. Thankfully, all I need to do is crank up my natural stupidity and stubbornness all the way to the wall again and all pain will unconditionally surrender to that near limitless well.

This is more of a life-change for me - A while back I quite worrying about money and treasure, and how to get mine, and switched over to a subsistence-styled life. That sounds weird, but there is always and has always been a dichotomy between rural life and fiscal success... All you really need to do is accept that money hardly matters as much as living does, and begin to participate in subsistence, finding the vast relief from stress that rural life provides, and self-reliance ensues, amid a vast array of non-monetarily aligned pleasure, like hunting and fishing, foraging and gardening for a living instead. And health naturally follows... because active people don't have health issues that aren't uniquely tied to stress somehow, IMHO.

But in the course of that, (and this is going to sound really goofy), I happened to remember all the Huskies I have had for companions in my life, and their need for fish in their diet. It is a real thing. They can live without fish, but thousands of years in companionship with Man across the north have left them dependent on an otherwise unnatural food source. I can guarantee that, especially in their senior years, they will become arthritic without it. And the simple addition of a raw, frozen, whole, 2 lb fish twice a week to their menu will have a near miraculous effect... not to mention many other health benefits and a vibrant excellent coat.

That got me thinking about my own similar malady, and I went wandering down that trail, thinking about what might be a similar need for a something that my current lifestyle does not provide - What artificial thing might be missing in my life that my constitution might require due to the same sort of millennia-long dependence?

That may have been a fruitful bend... Firstly, the natural man needs to (at least) mimic what the natural landscape provides... and then account for the one thing that he has acclimatized to across many centuries that cannot be found easily in nature.

And that was a pretty simple thing. Before home canning a generation ago, Northern man (I am Dutch) relied on fermentation for preservation. Fermented foods are nearly as absent in the modern, processed diet as that raw fish is to a kibble-fed Malamute.

So that is the line of thought that brought me to this weird circumstance, and my commitment to vinegar, and other fermentation means. and so far, so very good...

I know. I'm a weirdo. But I may be licking this arthritic thing, once and for all.  :shrug:
We shall see.

As for the chocolate... I can take it or leave it. I like it alright (and actually, cocoa tends to help my arthritis in large, bitter quantities)... But the last thing I would ever give up is caramel. Pralines and cream ice cream with home made caramel topping will always be my joy.  happy77
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:24:48 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 09:45:44 pm »
Actually @AllThatJazzZ , my journey is only obliquely tied to my arthritic maladies. Having twice achieved near-normal conditions in that regard (since Yah gave me a get-out-of-the-wheelchair-free card), I kinda know the game plan already for the next round of that. That's just about getting up and starting walking again, when climate and conditions align... And then weeks and weeks of screaming-yellow-bobsled-run-from-hell pain... In several and varied forms. Thankfully, all I need to do is crank up my natural stupidity and stubbornness all the way to the wall again and all pain will unconditionally surrender to that near limitless well.

This is more of a life-change for me - A while back I quite worrying about money and treasure, and how to get mine, and switched over to a subsistence-styled life. That sounds weird, but there is always and has always been a dichotomy between rural life and fiscal success... All you really need to do is accept that money hardly matters as much as living does, and begin to participate in subsistence, finding the vast relief from stress that rural life provides, and self-reliance ensues, amid a vast array of non-monetarily aligned pleasure, like hunting and fishing, foraging and gardening for a living instead. And health naturally follows... because active people don't have health issues that aren't uniquely tied to stress somehow, IMHO.

But in the course of that, (and this is going to sound really goofy), I happened to remember all the Huskies I have had for companions in my life, and their need for fish in their diet. It is a real thing. They can live without fish, but thousands of years in companionship with Man across the north have left them dependent on an otherwise unnatural food source. I can guarantee that, especially in their senior years, they will become arthritic without it. And the simple addition of a raw, frozen, whole, 2 lb fish twice a week to their menu will have a near miraculous effect... not to mention many other health benefits and a vibrant excellent coat.

That got me thinking about my own similar malady, and I went wandering down that trail, thinking about what might be a similar need for a something that my current lifestyle does not provide - What artificial thing might be missing in my life that my constitution might require due to the same sort of millennia-long dependence?

That may have been a fruitful bend... Firstly, the natural man needs to (at least) mimic what the natural landscape provides... and then account for the one thing that he has acclimatized to across many centuries that cannot be found easily in nature.

And that was a pretty simple thing. Before home canning a generation ago, Northern man (I am Dutch) relied on fermentation for preservation. Fermented foods are nearly as absent in the modern, processed diet as that raw fish is to a kibble-fed Malamute.

So that is the line of thought that brought me to this weird circumstance, and my commitment to vinegar, and other fermentation means. and so far, so very good...

I know. I'm a weirdo. But I may be licking this arthritic thing, once and for all.  :shrug:
We shall see.

As for the chocolate... I can take it or leave it. I like it alright (and actually, cocoa tends to help my arthritis in large, bitter quantities)... But the last thing I would ever give up is caramel. Pralines and cream ice cream with home made caramel topping will always be my joy.  happy77

@roamer_1

Wow! Lots to chew on in your reply. (See what I did there... :silly:)

I like your approach to examining what your body is calling for in order to achieve maximum health. I consider it wise. One of the doctors* I've been following on YouTube for a couple of years is full carnivore, his wife, ketovore. He calls this way of eating PHD -- Proper Human Diet. His philosophy tends to align with the things you're talking about.

Since you mentioned arthritis, I'm going to offer these two videos below that might be of interest to you. They're about Mikhaila Peterson's journey through devastating arthritis and other autoimmune maladies. Also, how she and her dad have been able to beat near debilitating depression that has run in the family for generations. Watching the vids is optional, but I thought perhaps there would be info in there that you could relate to.

I loved learning about the Huskies and their need for fish. I'll keep that knowledge close for those times when I see friends, neighbors, etc., with Huskies. Instead of scolding them for having that breed down here on the Texas Gulf Coast (I don't anyway, but there are times when I bite my tongue), I'll impart that raw fish wisdom into their situation. I love dogs and want every one of them to have the very best life possible until they leave us.

You're a lucky guy that you are able to eat chocolate. I don't really crave it all that much, but I'll admit that I'd love to chow down on a Kit-Kat Bar. And then another. And then another. But someone will have to kill me after that because I'm going to have the worst headache ever, and I'll wish I could die.

*Dr. Ken Berry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6g_geYeL4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39o_DI5laI