Author Topic: ‘Classic Junk Science’ Biden admin seeks ban on gas stoves based on single meta-analysis co-authored  (Read 813 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Classic Junk Science’ Biden admin seeks ban on gas stoves based on single meta-analysis co-authored by climate activist group seeking ‘carbon free buildings’

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotJanuary 10, 2023 9:51 AM

Biden Admin Considers Banning Gas Stoves over Health Concerns – Used in about 40% of homes in the U.S. – A federal agency may look to ban gas stoves over concern about the release of pollutants that can cause health and respiratory problems, according to a new report. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is set to open public comment on the dangers of gas stoves sometime this winter. The commission could set standards on emissions from the gas stoves, or even look to ban the manufacture or import of the appliances, commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. told Bloomberg News. “This is a hidden hazard,” Trumka told the outlet. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

Analysis: No, new study does not link gas stoves with asthma in children – ‘Classic Junk Science’ – Steve Milloy of JunkScience.com: “It’s not actual research. It is a meta-analysis of previously published (and ignored) studies. The authors did a literature search for previous epidemiologic studies on gas stoves and asthma in kids and then just mixed those results together. This is a bogus technique for a number of reasons, including publications bias in the component studies — i.e., studies with null results aren’t published.

The study results, including the component studies, are weak statistical associations — i.e., noise range correlations.

Asthma is an allergic disease. There are no allergens in natural gas. So the study has no biological plausibility. No one knows what causes asthma in children and so competing causes could not be ruled out.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/01/10/classic-junk-science-biden-admin-seeks-ban-on-gas-stoves-based-on-single-meta-analysis-co-authored-by-climate-activist-group-seeking-carbon-free-buildings/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:15:36 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Look at the chemicals coming out of the carpet, the drapes, the vinyl in the car (that 'new car smell'), and a host of other things in the air if you want to wonder why kids can't breathe.

And put out the stinky candles and quit spraying perfume everywhere.

Open a window and breathe.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I've never heard of gas stoves being dangerous unless they were malfunctioning. They've been around for over 200 years and would have ended long ago if they were what they current bureaucracy claimed them to be.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I've never heard of gas stoves being dangerous unless they were malfunctioning. They've been around for over 200 years and would have ended long ago if they were what they current bureaucracy claimed them to be.
I never read of any add on safety devices being required to retrofit gas stoves, but where my mother lives in Seizure World, Seal Beach, CA. the units are all electric and every single range was required to have a device installed between the electric hook up and the range(not sure about oven) to prevent a fire by detecting too much of a current draw. Good old electricity! Also when there is too much demand and power is off there is no cooking, heating, cooling, refrigeration, no router which for my mom means no phone, no Life Alert, no TV, etc.! At least if the units were NG she could use a space heater to stay warm and cook food on a gas range.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Nevermind that gas stoves are more energy efficient than an electric stove because they begin heating as soon as they are turned on. When you turn on a gas stove, you instantly get a flame, whereas electric stoves take a longer time to heat up. There are even newer models of gas stoves that conserve more energy than the traditional models by using an electric ignition as opposed to a continuously burning pilot light.

But Gas is bad because it is a fossil fuel. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DB

I never read of any add on safety devices being required to retrofit gas stoves, but where my mother lives in Seizure World, Seal Beach, CA. the units are all electric and every single range was required to have a device installed between the electric hook up and the range(not sure about oven) to prevent a fire by detecting too much of a current draw. Good old electricity! Also when there is too much demand and power is off there is no cooking, heating, cooling, refrigeration, no router which for my mom means no phone, no Life Alert, no TV, etc.! At least if the units were NG she could use a space heater to stay warm and cook food on a gas range.

Generally old people with serious memory problems should not use a gas stove, especially an older one that doesn't detect a flame and turn off the gas flow if it isn't lit. Otherwise they get turned on/left on without a flame and go boom many hours later.

Online mountaineer

Let us know when they remove the gas stoves from the White House kitchen. No chef in his right mind will stand for that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

I wonder if there are any restaurants that actually prepare and cook food that use only electricity?

Would seem pretty unlikely. In addition, using electricity only would likely substantially increase the time to prepare food for anything that needs more that a hot griddle.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Rules for thee': First lady roasted online for cooking on gas stove the Biden admin is looking to ban
The first lady was roasted online for her 'shameful' use of a stove the Biden administration is looking to ban

By Brandon Gillespie | Fox News

An old photo of first lady Jill Biden cooking with a gas stove has gone viral this week as the Biden administration is weighing the ban of such appliances, according to a report.

"Hey [Antoni Porowski], what are you cooking tonight?" Biden wrote on Twitter in September 2020, including the photo of herself using a gas stove top to cook and directing the question toward Canadian chef and TV personality Antoni Porowski.

The photo resurfaced just days after Bloomberg first reported that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is considering a ban on gas stoves because of concerns about indoor air pollutants from the appliances.

https://twitter.com/DrBiden/status/1301301376652382220

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rules-for-thee-first-lady-roasted-online-for-cooking-on-gas-stove-the-biden-admin-is-looking-to-ban
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Generally old people with serious memory problems should not use a gas stove, especially an older one that doesn't detect a flame and turn off the gas flow if it isn't lit. Otherwise they get turned on/left on without a flame and go boom many hours later.
The device has nothing to do with how long the device is on, or the safety of the resident if I know The Golden Rain foundation, it is there to protect against property damage if the range shorts. And the range is property of the Golden Rain Foundation, they just find it cheaper to install the device than to start replacing ranges some of which are up to 50+ years old. And even self igniting gas ranges will continue to emit gas if the ignition failed.

Offline DB

The device has nothing to do with how long the device is on, or the safety of the resident if I know The Golden Rain foundation, it is there to protect against property damage if the range shorts. And the range is property of the Golden Rain Foundation, they just find it cheaper to install the device than to start replacing ranges some of which are up to 50+ years old. And even self igniting gas ranges will continue to emit gas if the ignition failed.

I was simply addressing gas verses electric and old folks with memory problems.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I was simply addressing gas verses electric and old folks with memory problems.

Gee, most of us fall into that category.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It's another incremental step in the Global Green Communist conspiracy to put the US domestic natural gas industry out of business.

Ironically, in a few years America may have to buy LNG from Russia and Iran because the Green Commies shuttered the US energy industry.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

I have an electric cook stove, and dang near burned the house down with it...

Personally, I like wood. if you fall asleep, it burns out. no worries.

Offline DB

I have an electric cook stove, and dang near burned the house down with it...

Personally, I like wood. if you fall asleep, it burns out. no worries.

Slow burns are better than fast burns...