Author Topic: Court To ATF Gun-Grabbers: Bump Stocks Aren’t Machine Guns And You Don’t Make The Rules  (Read 276 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) lacked the authority to declare non-mechanical bump stocks “machineguns,” the full Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals held on Friday.

The decision, Cargill v. Garland, is the latest example of the courts foiling attempts by the federal bureaucracy to exercise the legislative power the Constitution vests with Congress, but until the Supreme Court’s separation of powers jurisprudence catches up with the runaway administrative state, the Cargill victory holds limited import.

On Oct. 1, 2017, a gunman murdered more than 50 innocent people in Las Vegas, injuring another 500. The murderer used several weapons, many of which had bump stocks attached. A bump stock, as the court in Cargill explained, “is a firearm attachment that allows a shooter to harness the natural recoil of a semi-automatic weapon to quickly re-engage the trigger after firing, enabling him to shoot at an increased rate of speed.”

https://thefederalist.com/2023/01/09/court-to-atf-gun-grabbers-bump-stocks-arent-machine-guns-and-you-dont-make-the-rules/
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not that I want a bump stock, but I always thought the rule was seriously flawed in that the function of the action was not changed from seni-automatic to full automatic. All that changed was the efficiency with which the shooter could pull the trigger, taking advantage of the inherent potential cyclic rate of fire of the firearm. The trigger still had to be pulled once for each round discharged.

This is a good ruling, imho.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Not that I want a bump stock, but I always thought the rule was seriously flawed in that the function of the action was not changed from seni-automatic to full automatic. All that changed was the efficiency with which the shooter could pull the trigger, taking advantage of the inherent potential cyclic rate of fire of the firearm. The trigger still had to be pulled once for each round discharged.

This is a good ruling, imho.

Especially to reel them in and, regardless of the subject matter, tell them that they do not get to make up the rules as they go.

That more than almost anything is what I want the courts to achieve across the vast bureaucracy.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Especially to reel them in and, regardless of the subject matter, tell them that they do not get to make up the rules as they go.

That more than almost anything is what I want the courts to achieve across the vast bureaucracy.
:beer:

Lawmaking is for legislators, not bureaucrats.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis