Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 95300 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2023, 07:03:50 pm »
@verga

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2023, 07:05:33 pm »
Verga;  Lost my mom September 1st also.

@MajorClay

You haven't lost anything. She will remain alive in your memory for as long as you have a memory.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2023, 07:11:35 pm »
My condolences. Prayers up for you and yours, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2023, 09:53:19 pm »
Mylon Lefevre, 78, contemporary Christian music artist, died Friday. His wife wrote on Facebook: "With his contemporary Christian rock band, Mylon and Broken Heart, he had the privilege of leading over 250,000 youth to Jesus. He cherished all the years of music ministry and the countless lives touched through his songs but his greatest joy was teaching the Word of God ..."

Wikipedia:
... As a teen, LeFevre was expelled from a private religious high school when his father took him out to be with the family while they performed at a local concert. At 17 years old, while in the Army where he was paid $84 per month, he wrote his first song, "Without Him." While stationed at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, the LeFevres were performing at a gospel convention in Memphis. That weekend, LeFevre hitchhiked over 600 miles to get there. Onstage, singing "Without Him", he did not know that Elvis Presley was there. After the concert, Elvis asked to meet LeFevre. Shortly thereafter, Elvis recorded the song for his album, How Great Thou Art, and within the next year, over a hundred artists would record his song.  ...

His first mainstream album, entitled Mylon, We Believe (Atlantic/Cotillion Records 1970), is considered by some to be the first true "Jesus Rock" album ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #804 on: September 11, 2023, 11:23:04 am »
@MajorClay My condolences and prayers.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #805 on: September 11, 2023, 11:23:52 am »
Thank you All
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #806 on: September 11, 2023, 11:56:49 am »
Charlie Robison, Texas country singer and songwriter, dead at 59

By Tracy Wright, Fox News
Published Sep. 11, 2023

Charlie Robison, country music singer and songwriter, died on Sunday. He was 59.

Robison’s representatives confirmed his death to Fox News Digital.

The musician died at a hospital in San Antonio after suffering cardiac arrest and other complications, according the Associated Press.

He launched his career in the ’80s, and released his solo debut, “Bandera,” which was named after the Texas Hill Country town where his family had a ranch for eight generations.

Robison’s sister, Robyn Ludwick, shared a tribute to Charlie on social media Sunday, and said that her heart was “broken in the deepest most irreparable way.”

“My big brother Charlie passed away in the arms of his loved ones,” she wrote on Facebook. “Please play some Charlie Robison on Repeat. He would want it that way.”

The Texas native grew up playing music with his brother Bruce, and released nine albums throughout his career.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/11/charlie-robison-texas-country-singer-and-songwriter-dead-at-59/

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #807 on: September 11, 2023, 06:12:07 pm »
Charlie Robison, Texas country singer and songwriter, dead at 59

By Tracy Wright, Fox News
Published Sep. 11, 2023

Charlie Robison, country music singer and songwriter, died on Sunday. He was 59.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/11/charlie-robison-texas-country-singer-and-songwriter-dead-at-59/

This one shocked me. He made some incredible music in his day.

"El Cerrito Place", probably his biggest commercial hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGulN5J8e64

"Loving County", the song that is always on lists of the darkest, most gothic country songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG0Vd4RX1yg

"My Home Town" live at Gruene Hall, the best version of this song in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAwA4HQUpvg
Let it burn.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #808 on: September 12, 2023, 06:31:27 pm »
Mike Williams, former NFL receiver, dead at 36

By Ryan Glasspiegel
Published Sep. 12, 2023

Former NFL wide receiver Mike Williams has died after succumbing to injuries sustained in a construction accident, according to NFL Network.

He was just 36 years old.

Williams’ agent, Hadley Engelhard, confirmed the tragic news Tuesday to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/12/former-nfl-wide-receiver-mike-williams-dead-at-36/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #809 on: September 13, 2023, 12:54:21 pm »
Former NYPD Commissioner Howard Safir – who led historic decrease in crime – dead at 81

By Larry Celona, Tina Moore and Ronny Reyes
Published Sep. 12, 2023

Former NYPD Commissioner Howard Safir – who oversaw a historic decrease in crime in the late 1990s and left an indelible mark on the nation’s largest police force – died in Annapolis, Maryland, on Monday. He was 81.

Safir, a Bronx native with a decades-long career in law enforcement, was named the city’s top cop by then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani in 1996, and served until 2000 – establishing the NYPD’s Courtesy, Professionalism & Respect program, a motto that is still painted on the side of every police vehicle to this day.

“A public servant for more than three decades, Commissioner Safir dedicated his professional life to improving the lives of others,” said current NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban.

Safir was “a devoted, dynamic leader whose pioneering work in fugitive apprehension, illicit drug enforcement, and officer training is still emulated today,” Caban said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/12/howard-safir-former-nypd-commissioner-dead-at-81/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #810 on: September 13, 2023, 08:05:48 pm »
Neil Currey, world-renowned bodybuilder, dead at 34: ‘Absolutely shocking’

By Mike Rosenstein
Published Sep. 13, 2023

Bodybuilder and former Mr. Olympia competitor Neil Currey is dead at the age of 34.

Milos Sarcev, Currey’s former trainer, announced the news Monday on Instagram, calling it “absolutely shocking” and “heartbreaking.”

The cause of death is unclear, although initials reports claimed Sarcev’s Instagram post indicated Currey died by suicide.

However, Sarcev’s initial Instagram post has been edited and makes no mention of suicide.

Bodybuilding digital network Generation Iron reports Currey made his bodybuilding debut at the 2017 World Championships and finished fifth in the category of pro muscle.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/13/neil-currey-world-renowned-bodybuilder-dead-at-34/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #811 on: September 17, 2023, 05:43:05 pm »
Wow, way too young. I liked him as an actor when he played on the Young and the Restless.  RIP Billy Miller, RIP.

Billy Miller, Daytime Emmy-Winning Y&R and GH Vet, Dead at 43

Billy Miller, a three-time Daytime Emmy winning soap vet best known for his roles on The Young and the Restless and General Hospital, has died. He was 43.

Miller’s spokesperson tells TVLine that the actor passed away on Friday, Sept. 15. Although a cause of death was not given, Miller had been struggling with manic depression, his rep confirms. (Michael Fairman TV was first to report the news of Miller’s death.)..........

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/billy-miller-daytime-emmy-winning-120149463.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #812 on: September 19, 2023, 03:36:08 pm »
Roger Whittaker, English baritone folk/schlager singer, dies at 87

Whittaker was best known for his folk ballads set to lush orchestrations with a distinct, rich baritone voice. In Germany, the style is known as schlager, and though Whittaker did not speak German, his ability to phonetically pronounce his German discography was good enough to earn him the honor of "Germany's Favorite Englishman." In America, his recordings were within the province of the "easy listening" genre, and though his hits rarely crossed into the Hot 100, he did have one crossover pop hit, "The Last Farewell."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/19/tributes-flow-for-germanys-favourite-englishman-roger-whittaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKdRpDpIR70
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #813 on: September 19, 2023, 04:11:28 pm »
RIP Mr. Whittaker, I thoroughly enjoyed your music over the years and will continue to.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #814 on: September 19, 2023, 04:12:05 pm »
 I remember when Wittaker and Box Car Willie were big.  IIRC you could order their stuff from K-Tel
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #815 on: September 19, 2023, 04:51:19 pm »
RIP, Roger.  I liked your stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #816 on: September 19, 2023, 04:55:13 pm »
“The Last Farewell” takes me back to my childhood, when my family of 9 lived on the farm and all my grandparents were still alive. I wept this morning listening to that song. RIP
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #817 on: September 19, 2023, 05:10:07 pm »
“The Last Farewell” takes me back to my childhood, when my family of 9 lived on the farm and all my grandparents were still alive. I wept this morning listening to that song. RIP

I feel the same when I see pictures of a ship rigged and ready in a harbor....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #818 on: September 19, 2023, 05:16:52 pm »
I remember when Wittaker and Box Car Willie were big.  IIRC you could order their stuff from K-Tel

Shoulda ordered when I had the chance, but I was holding out for a free ginzu knife.

RIP Mr. Whittaker.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 05:17:38 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #819 on: September 19, 2023, 06:04:55 pm »
RIP. Mr. Whittaker. I enjoyed your singing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #820 on: September 19, 2023, 07:44:10 pm »
Another great voice departs. RIP Mr. Whitaker

Offline verga

« Reply #821 on: September 20, 2023, 01:36:01 pm »
I loved that song. RIP Mr. Whitaker

Offline libertybele

« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2023, 01:11:41 am »
Country Music Legend Dead At 59

Charlie Robison, legendary country music singer-songwriter from Texas, has tragically died at the age of 59. Robison reportedly died in his home located in San Antonio, Texas after suffering a massive cardiac arrest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/country-music-legend-dead-at-59/ar-AA1gyF7T?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4fd02b48fa2345e486a0b53cc269d13e&ei=36
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #823 on: September 25, 2023, 10:51:23 pm »
'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' ....dead

David McCallum, 'NCIS' actor, dead at 90
Actor David McCallum was known for roles in 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' and 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'
By Tracy Wright Fox News
Published September 25, 2023 5:54pm EDT

David McCallum, who portrayed a medical examiner on "NCIS," died on Monday. He was 90.

McCallum's representative confirmed his death to Fox News Digital. He died of natural causes at New York Presbyterian Hospital.

"David was a gifted actor and author, and beloved by many around the world. He led an incredible life, and his legacy will forever live on through his family and the countless hours on film and television that will never go away," CBS said in a statement provided to Fox News Digital.

David is survived by his wife of 56 years, Katherine McCallum, his sons Paul McCallum, Valentine McCallum and Peter McCallum, his daughter Sophie McCallum and his eight grandchildren.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/david-mccallum-ncis-actor-dead-90
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #824 on: September 25, 2023, 11:06:22 pm »
He was also in The Great Escape...one of my favs

It is on tonight at 9:30 TCM...which I have my DVR set to record..
Support the USO