Author Topic: New York Times: ‘There Has Never Been a Better Time to Be Short’ – ‘Mate with shorter people’ for ‘a  (Read 1605 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York Times: ‘There Has Never Been a Better Time to Be Short’ – ‘Mate with shorter people’ for ‘a greener planet’ & to save ‘the planet by shrinking the needs of subsequent generations’

NY Times Guest Essay By Mara Altman: "Short people don’t just save resources, but as resources become scarcer because of the earth’s growing population and global warming, they may also be best suited for long-term survival (and not just because more of us will be able to jam into spaceships when we are forced off this planet we wrecked)."

"When you mate with shorter people, you’re potentially saving the planet by shrinking the needs of subsequent generations. Lowering the height minimum for prospective partners on your dating profile is a step toward a greener planet."

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/01/04/new-york-times-there-has-never-been-a-better-time-to-be-short-mate-with-shorter-people-for-a-greener-planet-to-save-the-planet-by-shrinking-the-needs-of-subsequent-generations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They really need to study the Babylon Bee if they’re going to try and do parody well.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Paging Randy Newman. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online DB

If it really came down to the survival of short verses tall people I wouldn't bet on the short people... Nature is nature where survival of the fittest rules.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Billionaires Buffet, Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg, Dorsey, and Jack Ma are all under 6 ft. Ma is 4'11".

My guess is their 'carbon footprints' are way bigger than my over-6 ft self.

Correlation does not determine causation and all that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

If it really came down to the survival of short verses tall people I wouldn't bet on the short people... Nature is nature where survival of the fittest rules.

That could work in weird and unexpected ways. I am a great big dude. my best friends tend to be little monkey boys, with some sort of natural intention. Division of labor stuff... Bantam weight guys can go where I can't - both small spaces and climbing, and they are quick... Meanwhile I provide power and considerable protection. It is a good symbiosis.

Offline Kamaji

Who's to say that bigger is always more fit?  The smaller dinosaurs outlived the larger ones, for example.

Online DB

Who's to say that bigger is always more fit?  The smaller dinosaurs outlived the larger ones, for example.

That's because the food supply went away. People aren't dinosaurs. Food should be available to those work for it. When it comes down to brute force, bigger (within reason), with all other things being near equal, wins.

Offline Kamaji

That's because the food supply went away. People aren't dinosaurs. Food should be available to those work for it. When it comes down to brute force, bigger (within reason), with all other things being near equal, wins.

If one wants to limit one's self to brute force, sure.  But life is not limited to brute force, and things are almost always not "near equal".  Human hunting parties taking down large targets, like mammoths, demonstrates the fallacy of "bigger is always better".

Same goes for asymmetric warfare between human groups.

Online DB

If one wants to limit one's self to brute force, sure.  But life is not limited to brute force, and things are almost always not "near equal".  Human hunting parties taking down large targets, like mammoths, demonstrates the fallacy of "bigger is always better".

Same goes for asymmetric warfare between human groups.

We were talking about people. Not other animals. And when actual survival is at stake it comes down to brute force.

Offline Kamaji

We were talking about people. Not other animals. And when actual survival is at stake it comes down to brute force.

No, it doesn't.  That is one of the essential lessons from the survival - and current preeminent position - of the human species.  It takes brains, plus a sufficient amount of force, not simply brute force, to survive.

Online DB

No, it doesn't.  That is one of the essential lessons from the survival - and current preeminent position - of the human species.  It takes brains, plus a sufficient amount of force, not simply brute force, to survive.

So are you saying that bigger people are stupider?

Like I said before, we're talking about people where all other things besides size are essentially equal. If smaller people were generally smarter you'd have a point. But that isn't the case.

Offline roamer_1

You're mostly right - But brute force first. The establishment of safety, security comes from a particular kind. Thereafter, eggheads and women can thrive.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
You're mostly right - But brute force first. The establishment of safety, security comes from a particular kind. Thereafter, eggheads and women can thrive.

There is a speech on Youtube by Admiral McRaven, at the University of Texas Commencement, who headed the SEALS for years.  In it, he talks about his class of candidates and the results.  It wasn't the biggest or strongest teams who came out on top but the smallest team.  Such things as communication, teamwork, and desire were among the components that made the difference.  At the start of the speech, he talks about what a person can do to change the world.  His answer - make your bed every day, it shows commitment.  Everyone should listen to that speech.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

There is a speech on Youtube by Admiral McRaven, at the University of Texas Commencement, who headed the SEALS for years.  In it, he talks about his class of candidates and the results.  It wasn't the biggest or strongest teams who came out on top but the smallest team.  Such things as communication, teamwork, and desire were among the components that made the difference.  At the start of the speech, he talks about what a person can do to change the world.  His answer - make your bed every day, it shows commitment.  Everyone should listen to that speech.

I can believe that - I ain't military... 4f. But I get the band-of-brothers thing, on a lesser scale. Tight circles work like crazy.

Offline GrouchoTex

‘There Has Never Been a Better Time to Be Short’
WOOHOO!
Hooray for my side, (or should I say size?).
The other day someone told me to stand up.
I told them, "I am standing up!"
 :cool:
I am not super short, but lets just say me and Jose Altuve can look eye-to-eye.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Are they trying to get short men to mate with tall women or vice versa? Cause I've never heard guys turn down short women. Most guys don't care.

I started out 5'10" i'm now down to 5'8". I'll probably be 3 feet tall by the time i'm 80.

Offline roamer_1

Are they trying to get short men to mate with tall women or vice versa? Cause I've never heard guys turn down short women. Most guys don't care.

Oddly, and I know this is kinda anecdotal... But it seems like great big (tall, muscular) guys get all the teeny tiny women.... I was big and wide shouldered in my day, and most of my girlfriends were under 5'8 Many under 5'1.

The tall gals, who would LOVE to go out with a monster guy, but usually get stuck with the average guy and fight the height thing all the way along

And the little bitty dudes ... The little wild-eyed spring steel and rawhide ones... They always have the supersize fat chicks.... And that is their preference.

Don't ask me why...  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We are also smarter,better-looking,sexier,and more modest that tall people.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjStSqu_w4

@GtHawk

I actually got into  a few bar fights because of that song.

Some drunken goober would try to pick me up to talk to me,and it would be "Game ON!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DB

Small people aren't fit?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DB

I am 5'5",and when I was in my 20's had no problem doing multiple deadlifts of 435 lbs,and could do multiple reps of 220 lbs over my head.

I also never had any problems when it came to knocking people out with one punch. Actually,I would sometimes hit them more than once,depending on how long it took them to collapse. After all,anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I think if you did some serious research,you would discover that in situations like bar fights,the participants who are 5'5" or so are more often the victor than someone 6'5" or so. Mostly because the big guys don't seem to get into fights as often as the little guys,and most don't seem to consider the little guys a threat until they become conscious and wonder what happened to them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:35:01 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So are you saying that bigger people are stupider?

Like I said before, we're talking about people where all other things besides size are essentially equal. If smaller people were generally smarter you'd have a point. But that isn't the case.

@DB

On what planet in what universe is this true?

Yeah,I have known a few guys 6'4" or so that had advanced black belts in Karate that were awarded by the Japanese Karate Association,but can't recall ANY of those guys ever getting into a bar fight.

A basic truth of life is that it is drunken Biden-heads that start fights,and they are ALWAYS looking for someone smaller,weaker,and more drunken than they are.

Anybody with any REAL experience with violence knows there is no such critter as a "sure thing" when tangling with strangers,and try to avoid it if they can,and if they can't,they tend to "go nuclear on your ass" right off the bat.

And you can trust me when I tell you there are damn few people who can shake off 3 or 4 rapid solid hits by someone who knows how and where to hit.

Most people who win bar fights are people who actually know how to fight,not drunks who happen to have an attitude.

Frank Miller and I once stood down a whole damn bar full of drunken Marines who seemed to be irritated because two white soldiers came into "their bar" to get a beer.

In our defense,we had no idea it was a "black bar",but I am not sure we would have cared if we had known because neither one of us was a racist. We lived with and worked with people who were primarily dark skinned,and considered some of them to be the same as kin.

We just happened to be in Pleiku on a PX run,and decided to get a beer before we drove back to Kontum.

They seemed to get real quiet when we pulled out a couple of frag grenades and smiled at them.