Author Topic: Tesla fined $2.2M for exaggerating driving range of its vehicles: report  (Read 216 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
TESLA Published January 3, 2023 2:44pm EST
Tesla fined $2.2M for exaggerating driving range of its vehicles: report
South Korea fine comes as Tesla stock continues to plunge

By Greg Norman FOXBusiness

Tesla investors don't want to think about Twitter: Al Root
Barron's senior writer Allen Root on what lies ahead for Tesla in 2023 after stocks face a steep decline on 'The Claman Countdown.'

Tesla is facing a new $2.2 million fine for apparently misleading consumers about the range of its vehicles in cold weather, a report says.

South Korea’s Fair Trade Commission alleged Tuesday that the electric automaker exaggerated the "driving ranges of its cars on a single charge, their fuel cost-effectiveness compared to gasoline vehicles as well as the performance of its Superchargers" on its Korean website from mid-2019 until recently, according to Reuters.

The actual driving range of Tesla vehicles drops in cold weather by up to 50.5% compared to what was being advertised online, Reuters also reported, citing the Korean agency.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/tesla-fined-2-2m-exaggerating-driving-range-vehicles-report
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 02:36:53 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Tesla fined $2.2M for exaggerating driving range of its vehicles: report
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 07:41:43 am »
How cold is cold?

I was out in my shirt sleeves today for about 20 minutes taking care of some stuff. Temps in the single digits above zero (no wind). A mite chilly, but not "cold" for these parts this time of year.

In defense of the folks who give vehicle ranges, be it in miles per gallon, or miles per charge, we all know those numbers just don't quite reflect reality. At this point, it behooves the prospective purchaser to do some due diligence and confirm or refute those numbers in practice by doing some research and seeing what results others are having, and I am one who has been pointing out that the mileage of these vehicles on a single chaarge in winter weather, especially in climates like I live in, is going to be far less in winter than it would be in summer, and (like an ICE powered vehicle) will be subject to reduction through other environmental factors as well (headwinds and road conditions, for instance).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis