Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2023, 07:53:06 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Per Gaetz press conference.  Looked like they were reasonable concessions to me.....
ALL McCarthy had to do to meet terms for speaker was:

1. Agree to floor vote on term limits
2. Agree to floor vote on balanced budget from committee
3. Agree to push forward Texas delegation Border Plan

Why would McCarthy refuse these?

OK good, didn't realize about the press conference. No those are easy to support, though I'd ask for more, like single issue bills.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2023, 07:54:37 pm »
So we have 19 GOP Reps that actually give a damn about their country.  And we have 203 GOP Reps that only care about their political perks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2023, 07:55:03 pm »
Johnathan Ford
@FordJohnathan5
·
4m
Reports are saying McCarthy won’t have the votes as speaker for the second vote. Anti McCarthy republicans are shifting votes to Jim Jordan. Complete chaos. Democrats will vote for Hakeem Jeffries down the board again.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2023, 07:55:17 pm »
I think maybe Scalise is the hole card...

He is the obvious 'unity' candidate, and is wholly unmentioned in the action. If differences remain inconsolable, watch for him to be nominated...

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2023, 07:55:25 pm »
Just saw that Dan Crenshaw just called opponents of McCarthy enemies.

Two way street there AH.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2023, 07:57:41 pm »
I think maybe Scalise is the hole card...

He is the obvious 'unity' candidate, and is wholly unmentioned in the action. If differences remain inconsolable, watch for him to be nominated...

Agree.   Though, I prefer Jordon.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2023, 07:57:57 pm »
Jim Jordan's speech nominating McCarthy...... (Video)

https://youtu.be/9S4jgzAQU9wN

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2023, 07:59:08 pm »
Olivia Beavers
@Olivia_Beavers
·
3m
More pulled together list of GOP No-votes on 2nd ballot
1. Biggs -- Jordan (Prev. Biggs)
2. Bishop -- Jordan (Prev. Biggs)
3. Boebert -- Jordan
4. Brecheen -- Jordan (prev. Banks)
5. Cloud -- Jordan x2
6. Clyde -- Jordan (Prev. Biggs)
7. Crane -- Jordan (Prev. Biggs)
Support the USO

Online Hoodat

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2023, 07:59:36 pm »
Joel Fischer 🇺🇸
@realJoelFischer
·
8m
The Republicans can't even nominate a speaker, and they want us to believe that they can govern.

It took the Second Continental Congress 419 days to declare independence from Britain.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2023, 08:01:55 pm »
Shit!!!  He's going scorched earth.

So what do you think he'll offer the Dems to get the four votes?  Equal representation on each committee and Democrat chairmen?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2023, 08:02:08 pm »
It's pretty clear McCarthy believes he is entitled to this.

It is all about him and not what is best for the country.

I've had enough of the entitlement swamp.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2023, 08:02:51 pm »
Agree.   Though, I prefer Jordon.

Oh, me too! But Gaetz and Jordan are playing the bank shot, setting up the money shot... So it will not be either of them.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2023, 08:03:25 pm »

It is all about him and not what is best for the country.

I've had enough of the entitlement swamp.

And the people here defending it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2023, 08:03:52 pm »
Didn't realize we had so many pageant princesses in our party. It's not about image or brand or how we look, it's what we get done. Get a pair and a thicker skin.

Nobody's going to remember or care about this vote in a month. Rats can smirk and mock and get stuck on that broken record, all the Reps gotta do, is do. Time will march on.

Old empty suit and helmet hair needs to get set back on his heels and knocked down a peg, then maybe we can get down to business and actually get something done.

This is how it should really work in the real world. People have gotten too fat and comfortable.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2023, 08:04:44 pm »
Just saw that Dan Crenshaw just called opponents of McCarthy enemies.

The Swamp has spoken.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
I know this doesn't belong here but you got to see this

https://twitter.com/derekahunter/status/1610364698708377600
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2023, 08:06:24 pm »

Well, he did win the nomination by an overwhelming caucas majority ----- so there's that. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2023, 08:06:41 pm »
Republicans Gather In Congress To Vote On Who Will Fail The Voters This Time

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Republicans in Congress are gathering to vote for their preferred politician who will let the voters down over the next two years.

"This is an honorable tradition, where we come together as team players to choose the one man who will most effectively preserve our power while doing the opposite of everything we promised our voters and spending trillions of dollars," said Rep. Dan Crenshaw. "Anyone who opposes our pick is anti-American!"

https://babylonbee.com/news/republicans-gather-in-congress-to-vote-on-who-will-fail-the-voters-this-time
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2023, 08:07:50 pm »
So what do you think he'll offer the Dems to get the four votes?  Equal representation on each committee and Democrat chairmen?

It'll take more like 20 now.  I think before tipping his hand in that direction, it'd cause a mass exodus in GOP votes.

Now that he has his attack dog Crenshaw developing "enemies list", I think negotiaton on McCarthy's behalf with conservatives is long gone.

McCarthy blew it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2023, 08:08:14 pm »
Well, he did win the nomination by an overwhelming caucas majority ----- so there's that.

So what?

Online Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2023, 08:09:03 pm »
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸
@RepMTG
·
5m
We can’t even swear in as members of congress until we elect a Speaker.
We can’t form committees until we elect a Speaker.
We (Republicans) can’t fire Nancy Pelosi loyal staff in the House & Capitol until we elect a Speaker.
We can’t investigate anything until we have a Speaker.
Support the USO