Author Topic: House faces temporary chaos if McCarthy stumbles in bid for speakership  (Read 1829 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
  January 2, 2023 8:40am EST
House faces temporary chaos if McCarthy stumbles in bid for speakership
The House cannot function until it elects a speaker

By Chad Pergram | Fox News

The 118th Congress convenes for the first time on Tuesday at noon. 

"Opening day" in Congress is always full of pageantry. Lawmakers pour into the Capitol with their families from all over the country. Toddlers and kids run up and down the aisles. Freshmen bring everyone to Capitol Hill. They pack their offices with constituents, supporters and families, serving punch and local delicacies from back home.

It's a lot like the first day of school.

And this year will likely be like any other opening day in the House of Representatives – until about 2 p.m. 

That’s usually when the House votes on a speaker. The new speaker, in turn, swears in the entire body, and we’re off to the races.

And for the first time in a century, things might not go down like that. It’s far from certain that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., will become speaker. And, what’s even more cryptic is how long it may take the House to elect McCarthy as speaker, or someone else. 

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hitchhikers-guide-vote-house-speaker
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House faces temporary chaos if McCarthy stumbles in bid for speakership
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 03:19:17 pm »
Even After Making Concessions, Kevin McCarthy Goes From 5 Holdouts to 14
By Joe Cunningham | 9:45 AM on January 02, 2023

Kevin McCarthy has spent the better part of a decade angling to become the next Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives. A failed bid seven years ago – amid rumors and concerns – after then-speaker John Boehner stepped down gave way to Paul Ryan leading the House for two years while Donald Trump was president.

Then, the 2018 election put the Democrats and Nancy Pelosi back in charge. Ryan left Congress and McCarthy became the leader of the minority party. But, he’s been angling to get that Speaker job, and it’s finally open thanks to the midterms, which gave Republicans a thin majority in the House.

excerpt:

On Sunday evening, McCarthy announced on a private conference call that he would give his antagonists one of their top demands: The threshold to trigger a vote ousting a speaker would shrink from half the GOP conference, as had been agreed to by a majority of the members, to five dissatisfied lawmakers. But hours later, a group of nine House conservatives issued a letter saying that’s not good enough.

That’s in addition to the five “Never Kevin” lawmakers who have already declared they’re opposing McCarthy. (Remember: He can lose only four votes if all House members cast votes Tuesday.)

But this morning, we can report that that’s not even the worst of it. We caught up Sunday with one of the GOP fence-sitters, a member who has been in the room for these negotiations. And he told us that some of these undecided members won’t support McCarthy — even if he gives them everything they want.

“The problem is people don’t trust Kevin McCarthy and a number won’t vote for him. Those are just the facts,” this lawmaker told us. “The list [of demands] that we offered was not for guaranteed support but rather the kinds of things that might move some of his detractors.”

more
https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/01/02/even-after-making-concessions-kevin-mccarthy-goes-from-5-holdouts-to-14-n682220
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 05:36:16 pm »
A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Can Republicans get any more ridiculous than this? The vast majority of the caucus voted McCarthy…not my guy at all but he won the internal vote. Elect him speaker and move forward.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 08:29:16 pm »
I truly do not understand what they are doing.  The holdouts don't have an alternative candidate ----- nevermind a viable one.

They have won concessions in rule changes, including calling for a vote to remove the Speaker at any time when 5 members agree ----

They have put themselves in a position of owning McCarthy and the agenda -----by demonstrating they have the votes to stop anything.

"What the hell are they doing?" is a fair question.  And "Why are they making conservatives in the House the face of irrationality?" is another one.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:21:34 pm »
I truly do not understand what they are doing.  The holdouts don't have an alternative candidate ----- nevermind a viable one.

They have won concessions in rule changes, including calling for a vote to remove the Speaker at any time when 5 members agree ----

They have put themselves in a position of owning McCarthy and the agenda -----by demonstrating they have the votes to stop anything.

"What the hell are they doing?" is a fair question.  And "Why are they making conservatives in the House the face of irrationality?" is another one.

Right! Classic case of take the W and walk away from the table. Anything they do NOW to drag this out only serves the Dems.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:24:04 pm »
Just like when Congress closes for budget impasses.....

Chaos is good.  I wish Chaos could be implemented permanently.  Shut 'em down.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:26 am »
Just like when Congress closes for budget impasses.....

Chaos is good.  I wish Chaos could be implemented permanently.  Shut 'em down.

Chaos means we don’t look into the Bidens, we don’t impeach Garland, and we hand the Dems the key to all 3 branches of government. So I’m going to take a pass on that.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 04:29:08 am »
Chaos means we don’t look into the Bidens, we don’t impeach Garland, and we hand the Dems the key to all 3 branches of government. So I’m going to take a pass on that.

You left off the part about exponentional spending spiraling towrd $32T debt.  I'll take the pass on that.  Shut 'em down.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 04:54:09 am »
Even After Making Concessions, Kevin McCarthy Goes From 5 Holdouts to 14

The only concession needed is for McCarthy to act like a Conservative.  Is that asking too much?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 05:04:03 am »

Chaos means we quit spending money we don't have.  It means the Democrats will no longer be able to use taxpayer money to fund their political campaigns.  It would be the best thing to happen to the GOP.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:37 am »

The two former will not happen under moderate wing control, and the latter would not make a difference.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:56 am »
The only concession needed is for McCarthy to act like a Conservative.  Is that asking too much?

YES. You are asking the impossible.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 05:29:38 am »
Still would like to see Trump as Speaker until they get all this settled.  It would terrify the hell out of the Dems.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 11:05:26 am »
You left off the part about exponentional spending spiraling towrd $32T debt.  I'll take the pass on that.  Shut 'em down.

So you want the Left to have crushing victories in the next election….and everything they’ve done to go uninvestigated and swept under the rug. Because you’re mad about spending (hint:we are all mad about spending…doesn’t mean we want to surrender to the Dems). Brilliant strategy.

The entire country will see the Right as stumblebum morons…and this will lead to a landslide for the Dems at all levels in 2024. Let’s call this the Dumb and Dumberer strategy…as it achieves NOTHING that conservatives want in policy terms while annihilating any hopes of actually ever putting a Republican in the White House in 2024. Way to go fellas!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:11:30 am by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 11:13:27 am »
Still would like to see Trump as Speaker until they get all this settled.  It would terrify the hell out of the Dems.

Instead of terrifying them, screwing up the Speaker election ensures their victory in 2024 in the House, Senate and Presidency. It neuters Trump and every other GOP/Conservative candidate for office. Unreal.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:14:33 am by Mesaclone »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 12:18:08 pm »
RINO Congressman Don Bacon Threatens Conservatives: I’ll Help Democrats Elect Next Speaker if GOP Hold-Outs Reject Kevin McCarthy

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/rino-congressman-don-bacon-threatens-conservatives-help-democrats-elect-next-speaker-gop-hold-outs-reject-kevin-mccarthy/

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 12:45:03 pm »
RINO Congressman Don Bacon Threatens Conservatives: I’ll Help Democrats Elect Next Speaker if GOP Hold-Outs Reject Kevin McCarthy

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/rino-congressman-don-bacon-threatens-conservatives-help-democrats-elect-next-speaker-gop-hold-outs-reject-kevin-mccarthy/

Good.  Doesn't hurt early on, to ID those we need to Primary the Hell out of early '24.

He just provided the first campaign sound bite.  Nail hm for it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 12:52:25 pm »
Good.  Doesn't hurt early on, to ID those we need to Primary the Hell out of early '24.

He just provided the first campaign sound bite.  Nail hm for it.

Kind of what I'm thinking. Let's see how this shakes out.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 12:55:08 pm »
Kind of what I'm thinking. Let's see how this shakes out.

Even our worst republican enemies like Cheney and Kinzinger didn't vote a dim for Speaker.

I am thinking he is already regretting this statement.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 01:03:02 pm »
This garbage is how Kinzinger and Cheney win. GOP wins the House and Conservatives are too  dimwitted to even put their own Speaker in place. If you’re for this idiocy to vote against McCarthy…even after the concessions he’s made…then you might as well sign up for the Cheney/Kinzinger 2024 Presidential campaign….because you’ve already helped them launch it.

You can be an authentic Conservative, without being a strategically challenged moron. There IS no “more conservative” candidate in the race for Speaker who can win a majority of votes in the caucus…so all you fools are doing is handing the Speakership over to the Left. It doesn’t get any dumber than that. And DAMN I hate calling any conservative dumb and/or a moron…but no other words fit just how self destructive and idiotic this tactic is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 01:08:15 pm by Mesaclone »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 01:17:07 pm »
This garbage is how Kinzinger and Cheney win. GOP wins the House and Conservatives are too  dimwitted to even put their own Speaker in place. If you’re for this idiocy to vote against McCarthy…even after the concessions he’s made…then you might as well sign up for the Cheney/Kinzinger 2024 Presidential campaign….because you’ve already helped them launch it.

You can be an authentic Conservative, without being a strategically challenged moron. There IS no “more conservative” candidate in the race for Speaker who can win a majority of votes in the caucus…so all you fools are doing is handing the Speakership over to the Left. It doesn’t get any dumber than that. And DAMN I hate calling any conservative dumb and/or a moron…but no other words fit just how self destructive and idiotic this tactic is.

Baloney...  You can get aboard the  McCarthy/McConnell Capitulation Train if you like. Cause that has worked out so well for us in the past.  /s

You know who are the  idiotis?  So called conservatives who keep supporting these 2.   

Secondly, Ever thought and wonder why McCarthy rather negotiate and side with left leaning liberals than the conservative Freedom Caucus?  That's all you and I both need to know about this feckless, flaccid legislative enuch.

What you call concessions are basically stlll an endorsement to cave to the dims. I have a feeling he'll do just fine, if he'd just announce he is taking the agenda rightward. Or step down in favor of Scalise, or even better Jordon.   Not holding my breath though.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 01:30:13 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 02:48:40 pm »

Well said @Mesaclone

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 03:06:58 pm »
Baloney...  You can get aboard the  McCarthy/McConnell Capitulation Train if you like. Cause that has worked out so well for us in the past.  /s

You know who are the  idiotis?  So called conservatives who keep supporting these 2.   

Secondly, Ever thought and wonder why McCarthy rather negotiate and side with left leaning liberals than the conservative Freedom Caucus?  That's all you and I both need to know about this feckless, flaccid legislative enuch.

What you call concessions are basically stlll an endorsement to cave to the dims. I have a feeling he'll do just fine, if he'd just announce he is taking the agenda rightward. Or step down in favor of Scalise, or even better Jordon.   Not holding my breath though.

Lots of sound and fury in this post, signifying nothing. First, I don’t “support” McCarthy nor McConnell…but unti another Con gets more votes FROM THE GOP CAUCUS, these are the leaders we have in the House and Senate. Maybe that sucks…but simply handing the House over to the Dems is vastly worse and will do such damage to conservatism everywhere that it may not re-emerge gor a generation. How F’ing stupid is that…picking the vastly “worser” of two evils is a choice only a true moron or an egotistical ideologue would make. It’s foolish and advances the causes of the Left.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2023, 03:15:44 pm »
Even our worst republican enemies like Cheney and Kinzinger didn't vote a dim for Speaker.

You don't know that.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2023, 03:29:05 pm »
So you want the Left to have crushing victories in the next election….and everything they’ve done to go uninvestigated and swept under the rug. Because you’re mad about spending (hint:we are all mad about spending…doesn’t mean we want to surrender to the Dems). Brilliant strategy.

The reason the Democrats have won the last two elections is because spending has gone unchecked.  After only two years in the Senate, Rafael Warnock is able to come up with $100+ billion in funding for his Senate race - money which came directly from the $5+ trillion in new spending that the Dems passed in 2022.

The ball is in McCarthy's court.  He can either give assurances to Conservative members that this will not be a repeat of Paul Ryan.  Or he can continue to give Democrats every single thing they ask for, and then some.  Over the past year, he has indicated that the Paul Ryan model is the one he will follow.  And if that proves to be true, we are better off with Pelosi, as much as it pains me to say it.  Paul Ryan was the worst House Speaker this nation has ever had.  I don't want to see a repeat of that.

Not too long ago, McCarthy gave the longest floor speech in House history.  The content of that speech was magnificent.  It shouldn't be too difficult for him to convince Conservatives that he will put that speech into action.  But he isn't even trying.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-