Author Topic: Fact Check: Were There 600,000 Southern U.S. Border 'Got-Aways' in 2022?  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fact Check: Were There 600,000 Southern U.S. Border 'Got-Aways' in 2022?
BY SHANE CROUCHER ON 12/29/22 AT 1:00 PM EST

The number of undocumented migrants crossing the border is again at the fore of the American political debate after the Supreme Court's decision on Title 42, a Trump-era emergency order by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that restricted immigration to the U.S. in response to the COVID pandemic.

President Joe Biden's administration sought to end the Title 42 restrictions, but several Republican-led states took the White House to court to keep them in place. The Supreme Court voted 5-4 to maintain Title 42 temporarily by ordering a stay on a lower court's ruling to vacate the policy.

Now, the Supreme Court will hear arguments about Title 42 in its February 2023 session before making a final decision. Meanwhile, at the southern border, large numbers of migrants are crossing into the U.S.—and not all those without documentation are apprehended.

The Claim

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) tweeted on December 27: "Biden's open-border policy has turned a humanitarian crisis into a national security crisis: Border Patrol counts more than 600,000 got-aways this year alone."

The tweet was at the time of writing viewed by more than 234,000 people and generated more than 12,000 engagements.

The Facts

https://www.newsweek.com/southern-us-border-migrants-gotaways-2022-1770201?piano_t=1
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:24:37 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson