Author Topic: Top Stories 2022: Navy, Marine Corps Faced Tough Recruiting Environment  (Read 93 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Top Stories 2022: Navy, Marine Corps Faced Tough Recruiting Environment
By: Heather Mongilio
December 29, 2022 7:13 PM

This post is part of a series looking back at the top naval stories from 2022.

The Navy, like the other military branches, spent 2022 facing a bleak recruiting environment, one that is expected to be harder in 2023. Over the past year, the sea service introduced several new policies, from increasing age limits to new billet programs, aimed at getting new sailors and keeping the ones already in the Navy.

In Fiscal Year 2023, the Navy will need to recruit 37,700 active-duty sailors in order to meet the needs of the service, USNI News previously reported. That’s an increase of 3,400 sailors over the recruiting goal for FY 2022. The Navy was able to reach its FY 2022 goal by just 42 sailors.

Surface Warfare Engineering School Command Great Lakes (SWESC GL) staff discuss the training curriculum of deck-hand Sailors at the USS Whitehat to Vice Adm. Rick Cheeseman, front, Chief of Naval Personnel, during a visit to Naval Station Great Lakes accession training sites on Nov. 4. US Navy Photo

The Navy is not alone in facing a tough recruiting environment. All services have discussed the increasingly difficult atmosphere for recruiting new service members.
Marine Corps commandant Gen. David Berger wrote a piece for Naval Institute’s Proceedings about the challenges he saw facing the Marine Corps.

https://news.usni.org/2022/12/29/top-stories-2022-navy-marine-corps-faced-tough-recruiting-environment
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:45:58 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson