Author Topic: An open call to the visionaries in government to change DoD culture  (Read 167 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
An open call to the visionaries in government to change DoD culture
By Bonnie Evangelista
 Monday, Dec 12

Whether you acknowledge it or not, all roads in the emerging technology race lead to contracts. Unfortunately, federal contracting is lengthy, overly burdensome and rigid. But it doesn’t have to be this way.

Disrupting traditional federal contracting is critical to advancing rapid acquisition, but it is only one step of many needed in order to forge a new path for the Department of Defense. Several leaders across the DoD have publicly displayed their frustrations over the federal acquisition malaise. Nicolas Chaillan is most notable for having “dropped the mic” as he left his position as the Air Force chief software officer, criticizing the military for refusing to advance IT modernization and agile acquisition.

The resignation of Defense Innovation Unit chief Michael Brown earlier this year is another reminder of how the DoD is slow to transform its technology acquisition processes. His chief complaint was the lack of support from the Pentagon when bridging the gap between the department and commercial technology.

Clearly, there’s an issue that even some top DoD leaders can’t ignore. I strongly suspect there’s a growing consensus among some of the rank and file across the DoD that something has to give. But the real question remains: As an organization, are we willing to let go of the culture and policies that stifle significant progress in advancing military capability, or will we continue to fall behind the rest of the world?

https://www.c4isrnet.com/opinion/commentary/2022/12/12/an-open-call-to-the-visionaries-in-government-to-change-dod-culture/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: An open call to the visionaries in government to change DoD culture
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 01:50:32 pm »
Sam Brinton was one of the "visionaries" Biden is looking for. :3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Brinton
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:57:51 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Re: An open call to the visionaries in government to change DoD culture
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 02:22:47 pm »
Today's military has a certain Chelsea Manning thing going, alas.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org