Author Topic: George Santos puts GOP in a tight spot  (Read 730 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
George Santos puts GOP in a tight spot
« on: December 29, 2022, 02:15:42 pm »
 George Santos puts GOP in a tight spot
by Emily Brooks - 12/29/22 6:00 AM ET

Rep.-elect George Santos (R-N.Y.) has put Republicans in a pickle: How do party leaders deal with his fabrications and misrepresentations without jeopardizing their slim majority or setting a precedent? 

The answer so far, for the most part, is to say nothing and let Santos speak for himself — and perhaps to let voters decide Santos’s fate in 2024.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) Chairman Tom Emmer (Minn.) and House Republican Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik (N.Y.) have not commented on the revelations surrounding Santos’s background and falsehoods. 

The reality is that a slim incoming majority of 222 GOP seats to 212 Democratic seats and one vacancy leaves Republicans little political incentive to come down hard on Santos, as they might need his vote to pass their priorities.

And McCarthy, who is facing opposition from a handful of hard-line House Republicans threatening to sink his Speaker bid, may need Santos’s vote to secure the Speakership on Jan. 3. Santos expressed support for McCarthy for Speaker in a tweet last week that has since been deleted. 

McCarthy did not answer questions about Santos in the Capitol last week, and House GOP leaders did not respond to or comment on Santos on Wednesday.

“He’s eventually going to pay a price,” one Republican strategist said of Santos, speaking on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly. “But he’s not going to pay a price at least until after the Speaker vote because of the tight majority.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3791270-george-santos-puts-gop-in-a-tight-spot/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: George Santos puts GOP in a tight spot
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 02:17:30 pm »
Let the voters decide in 2024.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 02:20:37 pm »
Yeah, and morally I'm torn because he (probably) doesn't deserve the seat and yet countless liberals have simply taken seats after lying about worse.

What a sack of garbage.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 02:35:24 pm »
Yeah, and morally I'm torn because he (probably) doesn't deserve the seat and yet countless liberals have simply taken seats after lying about worse.

What a sack of garbage.

This is your government in a nutshell.

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 03:03:28 pm »
This is your government in a nutshell.

Yes, it's a sad indication of the state of affairs when this type of person would pass any review of candidates. Lots of folks lie in their resumes, but Santos supposedly even lied about where he went to high school! His insecurities are painful to see and read about.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 04:02:46 pm »
Yes, it's a sad indication of the state of affairs when this type of person would pass any review of candidates. Lots of folks lie in their resumes, but Santos supposedly even lied about where he went to high school! His insecurities are painful to see and read about.
Does anyone really believe the democrats didn't know all about the lies before the election and decided to wait on releasing it figuring that either way win or lose the stink that they made for republicans would be worth it, and if he was forced to resign they would probably get the seat anyway.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 04:04:35 pm »
Does anyone really believe the democrats didn't know all about the lies before the election and decided to wait on releasing it figuring that either way win or lose the stink that they made for republicans would be worth it, and if he was forced to resign they would probably get the seat anyway.

That is very likely the case.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 04:35:13 pm »
Which Democrat congressman lied about serving in Vietnam? I agree with others. Let the voters decide when he’s up for reelection.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 04:44:22 pm »
Which Democrat congressman lied about serving in Vietnam? I agree with others. Let the voters decide when he’s up for reelection.

I know this because he was mine: Blumenthal.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 09:49:58 pm »

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 10:22:47 pm »
thebradfordfile
@thebradfordfile

Umm. Ted Kennedy killed Mary Jo Kopechne and they didn't even ask him to resign.

8:21 PM · Dec 28, 2022

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 10:30:13 pm »
thebradfordfile
@thebradfordfile

Democrats are jailing opponents, while Republicans debate if one of their own should resign. Spot the difference?

7:10 PM · Dec 28, 2022

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 05:14:50 pm »
I hope we keep him in office as an example of the new standards (such as they are) set by Democrats.  Then Primary him in 2024.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 05:36:51 pm »
Is there any question what Nancy Pelosi would do? C'mon, man. Get real.

The guy is scum. But he is OUR scum. So we will seat him the same way the other guys always seat THEIR scum. And then we will primary him and let the voters in his district decide what to do with his sorry butt.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 05:41:28 pm »
The proper response is they guy's lies pale in comparison to Sniffy's, and he'll stay right there till the end of his, and Sniffy's, term.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 07:03:40 pm »
thebradfordfile
@thebradfordfile

Umm. Ted Kennedy killed Mary Jo Kopechne and they didn't even ask him to resign.

8:21 PM · Dec 28, 2022

Good point
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy