Author Topic: The Army named its newest buildings on Fort Bragg in honor of two Green Berets  (Read 242 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army named its newest buildings on Fort Bragg in honor of two Green Berets
December 19, 2022

Fort Bragg’s John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School held a ribbon cutting ceremony in June for two buildings named in honor of two of the most famous Green Berets in Army history.

The North Carolina school’s newly opened Chapman Hall, which was named in honor of Army Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Chapman, will house advanced skills and network courses, as well as headquarters for six companies and five different training battalions, according to an Army statement.

The campus’s other new building, Volckmann Hall, is named in honor of Army Brig. Gen. Russell Volckmann.

According to the Army, Volckmann Hall will house the headquarters of the 1st Special Warfare Training Group (Airborne), the Army’s Warrant Officer Institute and the service’s Special Forces

https://www.vfw.org/media-and-events/latest-releases/archives/2022/12/army-school-honors-two-special-forces-soldiers
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Army Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Chapman,

I don't get it. I googled him,and the only thing he seems to have done that was "special" was getting shot to death while standing in a flatbed truck and issuing gear.

Want to see something special,look up Roy Benevidez and his actions during the VN war. Ever heard of ANYONE else jumping into combat out of a hovering helicopter armed with nothing but a Bowie knife and a medic's bag so he could treat the wounded in a recon team that  was surrounded and had every member wounded to the point they couldn't walk?

BTW,he was armed with an AK-47 when he reached the recon team. He got it by using his bowie knife on the NVA that shot him with the AK.

Roy was not only a truly fierce warrior,he was also one of the nicest men you could ever hope  to meet.

BTW,all the reports you read on him call him a "Mexican". He was NOT a "Mexican". He was an American of Yanqui Indian ethnicity.

He was originally awarded "just" a Silver Star for his actions,because he and everyone in the recon team that didn't die were sent off to different hospitals near their home towns to recover,and they just lost track with each other. They KNEW he had been put in for  Medal of Honor because they all signed the paperwork,but it seems the paperwork somehow got lost with no one still on active duty to pursue it. So they got together several years later to see if they could get Roy what he deserved,and damned if they didn't manage to get it done!

BTW,that Bowie knife is still somewhere in Asia. Roy was the last one to climb aboard the rescue helicopter,and he was out of ammo. An NVA came running out of the jungle towards the helicopter just as Roy was starting to get in,so he stopped,and charged the NVA with his Bowie Knife,and then collapsed himself due to blood loss from all his wounds. The door gunner jumped out of the helicopter and loaded Roy on board.

The last time that Bowie knife was seen it was sticking out of the chest of the NVA that charged the helicopter.

When they finally got Roy back to the launch site where an actual doctor could treat him in a medical tent,the doc leaned over to look at him and pronounced him dead. Roy changed his mind about that by spitting a mouthful of blood in his face.

Yeah,Roy was something special,with bells on!

BTW,do NOT get thrown off by the way his face looks in all the official photos. He always looked extremely pissed off and fierce around strangers. In less formal occasions he had a smile that would light up a room with the pure joy it expressed,and it was on display anytime he spotted a friend.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 05:01:26 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien