Author Topic: The Pentagon, In A Tech War With China, Is On Track To Field Its First Electric Aircraft In 2023  (Read 223 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Pentagon, In A Tech War With China, Is On Track To Field Its First Electric Aircraft In 2023
Story by Jeremy Bogaisky, Forbes Staff • 4h ago
Comments

The U.S. government took a hands-off approach when it came to the development of consumer drones. Now a single Chinese firm, DJI, has cornered more than three-quarters of the worldwide market, and Washington is worried its drones could be a tool for Chinese espionage in U.S. skies.

To avoid a similar mistake and the alarming national security implications, the Air Force’s Agility Prime program has funneled over $100 million since 2020 into another promising but unproven innovation: battery-powered aircraft known as eVTOLs for “electric vertical takeoff and landing,” which a slew of companies are developing for civilian use as air taxis and to haul cargo.

The Air Force has dedicated $3.6 million in its current budget to acquire its first eVTOLs in fiscal 2023. That’s not a lot of money, but it’s a sign of the military’s commitment to the technology. That commitment has helped U.S. eVTOL developers raise billions of dollars and made it more likely that they’ll survive to fight for an eventual civilian market.

“The U.S. Air Force’s involvement attests that these are real airplanes — not toys, not flying cars,” Will Roper, who launched Agility Prime when he served as the Air Force’s procurement chief during the Trump Administration, told Forbes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-pentagon-in-a-tech-war-with-china-is-on-track-to-field-its-first-electric-aircraft-in-2023/ar-AA15BadK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7417b42995d84b81ae353ecb60bd2b1f
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It must have an awfully long extension cord! :woohoo:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Hoodat

In a tech war with China?  Please.  China must be laughing their asses off knowing that the US is wasting defense money on something this stupid.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-