Author Topic: Latin American Media: Migrants Marching North for Title 42’s Funeral  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Latin American Media: Migrants Marching North for Title 42’s Funeral
Never mind last-minute legal delays, untold thousands are already at the international starting line, with many more on the way
By Todd Bensman on December 20, 2022

AUSTIN, Texas – In a “social phenomenon never seen before in the history of the region”, according to one media account, indigenous Miskitos, Tawhkas, Perch, and Garifunas peoples in Honduras began vacating their traditional subsistence lifestyles in December and heading for the American border.

Also in December, U.S.-bound migrants from 40 countries so overwhelmed the small southern Mexican town of San Pedro Tapanatepec in Oaxaca State that it declared bankruptcy and was forced to shutter a massive government shelter on December 17 and expel more than 15,000 immigrants onto a desolate highway with no food or water. All headed north.

In Nicaragua, tens of thousands of young men and women in December began forming lines three-days long to get the passports necessary to exit the country and head for the U.S. border. The Managua scenes indicated a mass exodus so significant that one prominent Nicaraguan economist lamented in a local newspaper that “It breaks the soul to see the children with their backpacks … to see how the country bleeds to death. We are losing the best. They are leaving by the thousands.”

https://cis.org/Bensman/Latin-American-Media-Migrants-Marching-North-Title-42s-Funeral
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson