Author Topic: Are Work Visas Facilitating Anti-Black Discrimination in the Mississippi Delta?  (Read 195 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Work Visas Facilitating Anti-Black Discrimination in the Mississippi Delta?

By David North on December 12, 2022
There’s a rural employer in the Mississippi Delta, one of the most poverty-stricken parts of the U.S. The employer (a catfish farm) had a choice between two workforces with the following characteristics:

A casual viewer would conclude, quickly, that it would be more costly in terms of travel and wages and more tedious (the paperwork) to hire Group B. The travel in the Group B case includes a journey that is both from one side of the Atlantic to another, and it crosses the equator; most foreign agricultural workers in the U.S., are from this side of both the ocean and the equator, coming from relatively nearby places like Mexico and Jamaica.

There is a sixth variable, not shown in the table above: The five people who got the jobs in question are white; they are H-2As brought in from South Africa. Doing the hiring was Harris Russell Farms, a presumably white-owned firm located in Sunflower County.

So the questions arise:

Can an H-2A employer use that program to hire white workers, even at considerable expense, instead of Black ones?

Should the employer have that option?

https://cis.org/North/Are-Work-Visas-Facilitating-AntiBlack-Discrimination-Mississippi-Delta
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
While democrats have traditionally been friendly toward blacks, they have been traditionally hostile to black success, going back to the days of slavery.  Back then any slaves who learned to read and write were severely punished, even killed.  Look at the success rate of most black high schools in democrat strongholds today and you will find few, if any, are candidates for Harvard. :nono:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 03:41:40 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson