Author Topic: NY plans to change the way you heat your home. Gas, oil, propane furnaces to be phased out  (Read 892 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.syracuse.com/news/2022/12/breaking-ny-plans-to-change-the-way-you-heat-your-home-gas-oil-propane-furnaces-to-be-phased-out.html

NY plans to change the way you heat your home. Gas, oil, propane furnaces to be phased out
By Tim Knauss
Dec. 19, 2022

A state commission today approved plans to phase out fossil fuel-burning furnaces beginning as soon as 2025 as part of New York’s aggressive program to address climate change.

The plan adopted today by the state Climate Action Council requires energy-efficient electric heat pumps or other non-combustion heating systems in every new home built in 2025 or thereafter.

For existing homes, residents whose fossil fuel-burning heating units give out after 2030 will have to replace them with a zero-emission system.

Those are just two of the many policies in a 445-page plan adopted today by the state Climate Action Council, a 22-member commission made up of state agency leaders, environmental experts, energy industry leaders and others.

Some of the policies approved today in the Climate Action Council’s “final scoping plan’' require further action before they can be enforced. The new regulations on heating systems, for example, will require changes to the state building code. Other changes may require new legislation.

But the council’s “final scoping plan” is now the official policy for how state government will meet goals for greenhouse gas reduction required under a state law passed in 2019. State regulations must follow its prescriptions, said Robert Howarth, a Cornell University professor and a member of the Climate Action Council.

“Agencies are supposed to go ahead and start following the plan -- making regulations, doing whatever it is that needs to be done -- as of next month,’’ said Howarth, a professor of ecology and environmental biology.

Get ready to learn about electric heat pumps.

More at URL above...

Poster's note:
Just how cold does it get up there in (and north of) the Adirondacks?
Are "heat pumps" gonna work at 10 below...?

Online roamer_1

All y'all need to know about heat pumps is that the colder it gets, the less effectively they work, till somewhere just south of zero, they quit working nearly altogether.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My stove is now electric. I miss my gas one.

Silly gas stove got me through Sandy when I had no power.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

Instead of having an energy source in your home that you control (gas, oil, propane), government demands you use a source that they can control.  Get out of their good graces, and you will find that the government-mandated software in your electric meter severely limits your access to the power needed to heat your home.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
We have a heat pump here in NH, we do like it. Works better than baseboard electrical. Also have a pellet stove, which is a must have IMO.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
One of the reasons I will never install a wifi or blue tooth- thermostat. 

They aren't going to tell me what temperature  I can live in.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Weird wrote:
"We have a heat pump here in NH, we do like it. Works better than baseboard electrical."

When temps get down to, say, 15 degrees (or lower), is it the heat pump (itself) that still works, or does it have "auxilliary electrical strips" that provide heat?

Online roamer_1

One of the reasons I will never install a wifi or blue tooth- thermostat. 

They aren't going to tell me what temperature  I can live in.

Kinda dumb anyway... I haven't changed my thermostat since I moved here. Why anyone needs to control it by wifi totally escapes me.

Offline Hoodat

When it comes to compression heat exchange, the further apart the temperature distances, the less efficient (and effective) the heat exchange.  For a temperature range of 70 F inside and 0 F outside, the range exceeds the limits of the compressor.  A two-stage compressor is needed instead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

• Technical
Weird wrote:
"We have a heat pump here in NH, we do like it. Works better than baseboard electrical."

When temps get down to, say, 15 degrees (or lower), is it the heat pump (itself) that still works, or does it have "auxilliary electrical strips" that provide heat?

They have some technology where it able to provide heat for temperature to get to around -5 or so. Then you need some other source of heat. Luckily it rarely ever gets that cold around here. We had a nasty cold snap for about 1/2 a week last year where the temp never got out of the single digits, the heat pump held up good. I went outside made sure the main unit was cleared of snow, and indeed the fan was "blowing cold" out of the coils. Not sure exactly how it works, but they have a mechanism to where it will still work in subfreezing temperatures.

And the air it blows out of the coils is indeed ice cold so I'm sure of the physics of it all, but the air blowing inside is warm.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:55:06 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

• Technical
Kinda dumb anyway... I haven't changed my thermostat since I moved here. Why anyone needs to control it by wifi totally escapes me.

Laziness, convenience. I got the Mysa Wifi thermostat for the main baseboard heater here and I can either pre-heat before driving home, or just control from my couch. If Biden starts to fiddle with it, I'll just disconnect it, no biggie.

Online roamer_1

Laziness, convenience. I got the Mysa Wifi thermostat for the main baseboard heater here and I can either pre-heat before driving home, or just control from my couch. If Biden starts to fiddle with it, I'll just disconnect it, no biggie.

Mine just stays the same... No need. In fact, most smart-home crap is silly to me.
I would LIKE to know if I left the stove on, or if the temp or moisture in the crawl space is off... And maybe it would be nice to ask Giggles to turn on the porch light if I am coming in late... But really, it's all just as dumb as butt warmers in a pickup.  :shrug:

• Technical
Mine just stays the same... No need. In fact, most smart-home crap is silly to me.
I would LIKE to know if I left the stove on, or if the temp or moisture in the crawl space is off... And maybe it would be nice to ask Giggles to turn on the porch light if I am coming in late... But really, it's all just as dumb as butt warmers in a pickup.  :shrug:

Most are no doubt, i have to agree. Have outside lights on motion sensors so they're not on 24/7 creating visual pollution. We got a ring doorbell for the missus to feel safe, works pretty good. Xmas tree is on a remote light switch, doesn't work over wifi, just remote, but home automationish.

Most "home automation" doesn't really automate much, just the flick of a switch. Not really a time saver.

The new home automation stuff I think will improve the situation. It's based on a new protocol that doesn't need the cloud, it can all be contained in a home hub, even if the home company goes out of business the equipment will keep working. It's called Matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_(standard)

I'm hoping robots everything will use matter and we can keep these companies out of our homes and improve security but who knows?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 04:05:30 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Online roamer_1

I'm hoping robots everything will use matter and we can keep these companies out of our homes and improve security but who knows?

I keep ALMOST doing that sort of thing with Raspberry pi... Started that thinking about external security cams - all wired, going to a server in the attic. Every time I need a do-dad, that's where my head goes... Almost.

Then I remember I'm a Luddite.  happy77

• Technical
I keep ALMOST doing that sort of thing with Raspberry pi... Started that thinking about external security cams - all wired, going to a server in the attic. Every time I need a do-dad, that's where my head goes... Almost.

Then I remember I'm a Luddite.  happy77

I think there's a hub called home assistant that can use pi if you want. I've never used it though. Was big into home automation a few years ago but got wary of security issue, cloud servers in china, and just didn't have time to futz around with stuff like this anymore after having a son.

There's some "medium tech" home automation stuff that is pretty good, like motion activated lightbulbs and such.