Author Topic: Here's what causes airplane turbulence — and how to stay safe on a rough flight  (Read 365 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Here's what causes airplane turbulence — and how to stay safe on a rough flight
BY GINA MARTINEZ

UPDATED ON: DECEMBER 19, 2022 / 12:31 PM / CBS NEWS

A few incidents this past year have highlighted one kind of unpleasant experience some end up having on airplanes: turbulence. And these kinds of incidents might be getting more common, a union representing flight attendants is warning — thanks to climate change.

In December, 36 people were hurt — 20 of them were hospitalized, with 11 suffering serious injuries — when a Hawaiian Airlines flight from Phoenix to Honolulu experienced "severe turbulence," officials said.

Eight people were hospitalized in July after an American Airlines flight from Tampa, Florida, to Nashville, Tennessee, experienced severe "unexpected turbulence" and was forced to land in Alabama, a spokesperson for Birmingham's airport told CBS News.

The incident came weeks after three Southwest Airlines flight attendants and one passenger on a flight from Chicago to Salt Lake City suffered minor injuries after their flight experienced "moderate turbulence."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is-turbulence-and-why-climate-change-could-be-making-it-more-common/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 01:23:45 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They seem to imply severe turbulence is something new.  It isn't.  I flew from the Philippines to San Fransicko when i was in the Navy and flew over the Intertropical Convergence Zone part of the way.  It felt like I was in a covered wagon in the 1800s going cross country on a two-track highway.  Riding in the wagon could have been no smoother than the air.  I also have a pilot's license and have encountered strong turbulence on more than one occasion.  More hype. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustynail

how to stay safe on a rough flight....keep the seat belt on?

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
how to stay safe on a rough flight....keep the seat belt on?

Yuh think?  I have always found a fastened seatbelt to be an advantage when I fly.
Thomas Jefferson

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I think the airline industry is much better at dealing with turbulence now than in the past. I can remember some flights I took in the 1970s that were real white knuckle specials. These days there is a computerized system that warns pilots about turbulent areas and they can steer clear, either by changing altitude or rerouting.