Author Topic: Aussie Scientists Freezing Coral to Protect them From Climate Change  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Aussie Scientists Freezing Coral to Protect them From Climate Change
6 hours ago Eric Worrall 11 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Coral survived the dinosaur killer, the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum, and the Quaternary Glaciation. But apparently we must spend millions on cryo-storage to protect coral from anthropogenic climate change.

Freezing Great Barrier Reef coral could be a ‘game-changer’ against the threat of climate change

Scientists working on the Great Barrier Reef have successfully trialled a new method for freezing and storing coral larvae, which they believe could help rewild reefs threatened by climate change.

Key points:

Cryogenically frozen coral can be stored and later reintroduced to the wild

Scientists say a new lightweight “cryomesh” can be manufactured cheaply

The technology could be a “game-changer” and help restore the reefs in the future, researchers believe

The reef has suffered four bleaching events in the last seven years, including the first-ever bleach during a La Niña phenomenon, which typically brings cooler temperatures.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/12/19/aussie-scientists-freezing-coral-to-protect-the-species-from-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson