Author Topic: F-35 vs. Su-75: A Stealth Fighter Comparison  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-35 vs. Su-75: A Stealth Fighter Comparison
« on: December 20, 2022, 12:14:24 pm »
F-35 vs. Su-75: A Stealth Fighter Comparison
Story by Brent M. Eastwood • Sunday

Russia has been obsessed with chess for generations, but does this interest transfer over to warplanes? Russia’s new Su-75 fighter plane is nicknamed “Checkmate,” building on the board game’s appeal. Russia hopes to export what it claims to be a fifth-generation warplane to subsidize further acquisition by its air force. The Su-75 Checkmate is thought to be built on the Su-57 airframe and be an improvement over competing fourth-generation fighters on the export market. Should the F-35 program be worried about the Su-75? To find out, I will compare and contrast the procurement status of both fighters.

Su-75: It Is Not Flying Yet
The Su-75 is not ready for serial production and will not even fly until 2024 at the earliest. Manufacturing in numbers is not expected until at least 2025. The Su-75 is not a priority at this time for Russia as Moscow is focused on the ground war in Ukraine in which newly produced missiles are more of a priority over building future fighters.
But Su-75 prototypes are on the way and mockups have been displayed at air shows. Russia hopes this initial production will be quicker because the Su-75 has parts and components used by its stealth Su-57 program. Some of the research and development will not be needed because of technological advances in the Su-57.

Can It Compete With the F-35 in Price?
Su-75’s manufacturer, United Aircraft Corporation, and its subsidiary Sukhoi Aircraft Company believe their stealth fighter will be cheaper than the F-35 ($30 million compared to around $80 million for the F-35). Like the F-35, the Checkmate will also be a single-engine airplane that will help reduce maintenance costs and increase fuel efficiency. The Su-75’s Saturn AL-41 engine puts out 24,000 pounds of thrust without the afterburner and 39,000 pounds with an afterburner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f-35-vs-su-75-a-stealth-fighter-comparison/ar-AA15pNoI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e2a2476f86cc44f48c5c213110afd0c9
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson