Author Topic: Carbon Taxes Increase Global CO2 Emissions. Period.  (Read 211 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Carbon Taxes Increase Global CO2 Emissions. Period.
« on: December 19, 2022, 12:26:00 pm »
Carbon Taxes Increase Global CO2 Emissions. Period.
Saturday 2nd December 2017 | Spencer P Morrison, National Economics Editorial

Share:
Not only does the logic show that carbon taxes in the West will invariably increase global CO2 emissions, but so does the empirical evidence.

Largest interregional fluxes of emissions embodied in trade (Mt CO2 y−1) from dominant net exporting countries (blue) to the dominant net importing countries (red). Fluxes to and from Western Europe are aggregated to include the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, and Sweden. Source: Davis, S. J., and K. Caldeira (2010), Consumption-based accounting of CO2 emissions, PNAS March 8, 2010, doi:10.1073/pnas.0906974107

As the hysteria over global warming heats up, carbon taxes have become the “cool” option.  Environmentalists love them.  So do politicians, who are more than happy to raise taxes while scoring political points.

Carbon taxes, or other analogous pricing schemes, are now prevalent in Western Europe, and are making headway in North America.  For example, California recently joined forces with the Canadian Provinces of Ontario and Quebec to create an integrated cap-and-trade carbon market.

On top of this, many well-known economists support carbon taxes, thinking they’re the best way to mitigate man’s contribution to climate change.  A new report written by thirteen leading economists under the direction of professors Nicholas Stern and Joseph Stiglitz—who won a Nobel Prize in 2001—recommends the adoption of a global carbon tax.

https://www.netzerowatch.com/carbon-taxes-increase-global-co2-emissions-period/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rustynail

Re: Carbon Taxes Increase Global CO2 Emissions. Period.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:50:21 pm »
Carbon Dioxide is Not a pollutant.