Author Topic: More adult children are living with their parents. Parents are not pleased  (Read 717 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 More adult children are living with their parents. Parents are not pleased
by Daniel de Visé - 12/16/22 6:00 AM ET

The share of adult children who live with their parents has ticked up in recent years. This just in: The parents don’t like it. 

A recent Pew survey found two-fifths of dads believe parents hosting adult children is bad for society, while only 12 percent think it’s a good thing. Moms agree, albeit to a lesser degree. 

With the economy sputtering, a spate of new articles counsel parents on such lightning-rod topics as whether adult children should pay rent and, more bluntly, “How to Get Your Grown Children to Move Out.” 

COVID-19 sent adult children back to the nest in unprecedented numbers. A stampede of younger millennials and older Generation Z progeny have fled roommates and cramped urban apartments during the pandemic for spacious homes in thinly settled suburbs with full kitchens and convenient laundry facilities. 

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3777185-more-adult-children-are-living-with-their-parents-parents-are-not-pleased/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

If you don't want your adult children living with you, can't you just try some version of, "Get out"?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

When you close businesses by the thousands, fire folks if they refuse the vax or refuse to wear a mask, what would you expect to happen?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
If you don't want your adult children living with you, can't you just try some version of, "Get out"?

No problem here.  I thought each of them to be savy successful savers and investors.  I mean I obessed on it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

When you close businesses by the thousands, fire folks if they refuse the vax or refuse to wear a mask, what would you expect to happen?

I can only speak for what has happened in this are.  Yes there are jobs and we have had a huge influx of people, but consequently rent starts out at around $2,000 for a liveable home in a decent area. Rent continues to climb. Even if the wage was $15/hr. -- that puts them able to afford rent and nothing else.  Ok, then there are those that can afford to purchase a home but insurance is astronomical and taxes are pretty steep, so it's a juggling act for those that didn't do there homework beforehand.  People who have rented the same place for years are having to move because the landlords can get more money. People are displaced; or moving back home, renting single rooms, families moving in together .... it's a mess.  The hurricane obviously didn't help the situation -- I just read an article that a woman's insurance went from $,4000/yr to $32,000. How is that justified?

Lost of places are still hiring, it's just a matter of finding people who can work and sustain on what the wages are around here.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

I'm pretty divided on the issue.

I left home at 16 and never went back. But my Mom came to live with me in her later years. Her health was poor so I can't say that she did much more than read newspaper articles to me and put the lotto numbers in order, lol.

If all parties are respectful it can be a good solution for the parents as well as the kids. Sometimes a parent/s need a little extra help.

That is if the "kids" are willing to be contributors and don't think that going home is going to be like reliving their childhoods.

In any case, what the heck are ya gonna do? Let 'em live under a bridge?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I can only speak for what has happened in this are.  Yes there are jobs and we have had a huge influx of people, but consequently rent starts out at around $2,000 for a liveable home in a decent area. Rent continues to climb. Even if the wage was $15/hr. -- that puts them able to afford rent and nothing else.  Ok, then there are those that can afford to purchase a home but insurance is astronomical and taxes are pretty steep, so it's a juggling act for those that didn't do there homework beforehand.  People who have rented the same place for years are having to move because the landlords can get more money. People are displaced; or moving back home, renting single rooms, families moving in together .... it's a mess.  The hurricane obviously didn't help the situation -- I just read an article that a woman's insurance went from $,4000/yr to $32,000. How is that justified?

Lost of places are still hiring, it's just a matter of finding people who can work and sustain on what the wages are around here.
Where I am a 2 bdrm 1 bath apartment in a decent area is going for $2200 up, rent a house? Fuggetabout it with a 3bdrm home at $1 million and up for miles around me. Even with fast food paying $16 to $18 it's unaffordable.

Offline berdie

Where I am a 2 bdrm 1 bath apartment in a decent area is going for $2200 up, rent a house? Fuggetabout it with a 3bdrm home at $1 million and up for miles around me. Even with fast food paying $16 to $18 it's unaffordable.

Same in the urban area near me. Rent is in that range plus electricity and often time water. I thought about selling and moving there to be closer to relatives due to health reasons. No Way!! can I afford even the cheapest digs.

I don't know how people are affording it. I'll just continue to live here in no-man's land and hope for the best.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I’m paying almost this much for a one bedroom. Two bedrooms are about 2,700 and up. Add electric, heat, water and cable….

Houses are ridiculous here too. I’ve never been in a position to afford one. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 11:47:51 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I’m paying almost this much for a one bedroom. Two bedrooms are about 2,700 and up. Add electric, heat, water and cable….

Houses are ridiculous here too. I’ve never been in a position to afford one.
My daughter and SIL just bought what most would call a modest home, 3bdrm, 2 bath pool 1400sqft on a 6000sqft lot in a decent neighborhood but because of the zip code it was $1million to me that is insane! they both make good money but the payments are going put a real dent in their lifestyle.