Author Topic: New York to ban sale of dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores  (Read 534 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
New York to ban sale of dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores
« on: December 16, 2022, 07:43:30 pm »
Starting in 2024, retail pet stores in New York will no longer be able to sell dogs, cats or rabbits, thanks to new legislation signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul Thursday.

The ban — which is also in place in a few other states like California and Illinois — is an effort to end large-scale abusive breeding practices by puppy and kitten mills, which often provide animals to pet stores, according to Hochul's office.

"Dogs, cats and rabbits across New York deserve loving homes and humane treatment," the governor said in a statement. "I'm proud to sign this legislation, which will make meaningful steps to cut down on harsh treatment and protect the welfare of animals across the state."

The legislation targets breeding systems that abuse animals and fail to provide proper veterinary care, food and socialization.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-to-ban-sale-dogs-cats-rabbits-in-pet-stores/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

Re: New York to ban sale of dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 07:47:29 pm »
The legislation targets breeding systems that abuse animals and fail to provide proper veterinary care, food and socialization.
I assume there are some breeders who don't do all these terrible things. They're just SOL.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 11:02:52 pm »
It's New York.
In time, EVERYTHING will be "banned".
With the exception of... criminal acts.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 11:14:03 pm »
Yes they did this in California but it does nothing to stop backyard breeders both ethical and unscrupulous who sell through ads, nor does it stop the flood of animals into shelters. What it does do is make it very expensive for puppies of desirable breeds and mixes because the 'rescues' snap up all the available puppies and then charge outrageous prices - you know for maintaining the organization. Two and a half years past when I had to put my dog down and was looking for another Lab mix the rescues, once all their fees were totaled up (if they accepted me) wanted around $850 for a puppy. Odd that rather than do a better job of regulating and enforcing they decided to effectively eliminate the honest breeders while the unscrupulous just sold out of their homes.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 12:50:34 am »
Yes they did this in California but it does nothing to stop backyard breeders both ethical and unscrupulous who sell through ads, nor does it stop the flood of animals into shelters. What it does do is make it very expensive for puppies of desirable breeds and mixes because the 'rescues' snap up all the available puppies and then charge outrageous prices - you know for maintaining the organization. Two and a half years past when I had to put my dog down and was looking for another Lab mix the rescues, once all their fees were totaled up (if they accepted me) wanted around $850 for a puppy. Odd that rather than do a better job of regulating and enforcing they decided to effectively eliminate the honest breeders while the unscrupulous just sold out of their homes.
Where there is demand, someone will provide, charging what the market will bear. Hence, the Black (Lab) Market.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis