Author Topic: Illegal Alien Killer Freed by Cook County Sanctuary Policy Is Finally Extradited From Mexico  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Illegal Alien Killer Freed by Cook County Sanctuary Policy Is Finally Extradited From Mexico

By Jessica M. Vaughan on December 13, 2022

During Thanksgiving weekend in 2011, Brian McCann got a phone call from the Cook County jail’s automated victim’s notification service, telling him that Saul Chavez, an illegal alien charged for mowing down and killing his brother Dennis in downtown Chicago while driving drunk, had been released, as dictated by Cook County’s brand-new sanctuary policy. Thus began an 11-year campaign by Brian McCann to secure justice for his brother, and to alert lawmakers to the consequences of sanctuary policies. On Monday, December 12, Chavez reportedly was scheduled to appear in court in Cook County after a years-long FBI manhunt and extradition from Mexico, in what the McCann family hopes is the beginning of the process of obtaining justice.

This is what happened, from the Chicago DUI Lawyer Blog:

On June 8, 2011, Saul Chavez allegedly hit and killed a 66-year-old man, William [“Dennis”] McCann in Chicago. McCann was walking along Kedzie Avenue in Logan Square when he was struck by a vehicle. He was reportedly thrown into the air and landed on the hood of the car. Chavez was allegedly observed accelerating the vehicle, running over McCann, and dragging his body nearly 300 ft. Witnesses stated that Chavez exited the vehicle and tried to flee on foot, but was apprehended by an off-duty Chicago Police officer. Chavez’s blood alcohol level was reportedly 0.29, nearly four times the legal limit. He was charged with aggravated DUI causing death, and leaving the scene of an accident.

Chavez had just completed two years on probation for a previous aggravated DUI charge. When he was booked into Cook County Jail, there was an immigration detainer placed on him, to keep him from being released. However, in November 2011, Chavez was released from jail after his brother posted bond.

https://cis.org/Vaughan/Illegal-Alien-Killer-Freed-Cook-County-Sanctuary-Policy-Finally-Extradited-Mexico
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson