Author Topic: Rough Outline of Poorly Thought-Out Sinema/Tillis Amnesty Emerges  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Shooting the hostage’ at the Southwest border

By Andrew R. Arthur on December 7, 2022

A rough outline of a proposal by Sens. Kirsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) to grant amnesty to so-called “DREAMers” (and likely many, many others) is emerging from the bowels of Congress. In essence, it trades a pathway to citizenship for a poorly thought-out reconfiguring of border security that will likely make things at the U.S.-Mexico line worse while increasing quasi-legal immigration for decades to come.

The Broken Border. In a “fact sheet” released in July 2021, the White House touted its alleged accomplishments in building “a fair, orderly, and humane immigration system”. Notably, that document alleged the administration had achieved these results “while reckoning with the prior Administration’s cruel and reckless immigration policies, which exacerbated long-standing challenges and failed to securely manage our border”.

Although DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas parroted that “broken immigration system” line in a May interview, and placed blame on the Trump administration for its “dismantling” of that system, in reality Biden had inherited what his first Border Patrol chief, Rodney Scott, described in September 2021 as “arguably the most effective border security in” U.S. history.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Rough-Outline-Poorly-ThoughtOut-SinemaTillis-Amnesty-Emerges
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson