Author Topic: McCarthy plays hardball with GOP rebels over committee assignments  (Read 445 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 December 8, 2022 2:00am EST
McCarthy plays hardball with GOP rebels over committee assignments
Delay comes as Andy Biggs mounts campaign against McCarthy on House floor

By Haris Alic | Fox News

House Republicans are delaying decisions on prime committee assignments and chairmanships for next year, a move that could help Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy undercut challenges to his bid for speaker.

The internal House GOP steering panel was set to meet with candidates this week for contested committee chairmanships, but that schedule was scrapped. Instead, those meetings could be delayed until January, when the panel will also meet with candidates making uncontested bids to chair a committee.

Officially, the delay will only affect three committees: Ways and Means, Budget, and Homeland Security. But the move essentially freezes assignments for all other committees given that the tax-writing Ways and Means is a prize assignment for more than a dozen members.

"If you can't decide who is chairman, you can't decide who is on the committee either," said a senior GOP aide. "If there winds up being two openings on a committee after the chair is decided, that doesn't mean there are just two seats to fill. Members leave other committees for better ones; it creates a big shuffle down the line."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mccarthy-plays-hardball-gop-rebels-committee-assignments
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: McCarthy plays hardball with GOP rebels over committee assignments
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 04:18:04 pm »
I would say screw the committee assignments, we'll deep six everything you bring to the floor, now let's talk about a Speaker candidate other than you.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 05:03:18 pm »
Meet the New Boss...same as the Old Boss.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:12:07 pm »
100% unadulterated proof that McCarthy is 100% RINO.

He'd rather play ball, and is more aligned with the dims than the Freedom Caucus.

He sucks as much  the other McC. .....Turdle.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 05:16:13 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 06:05:24 pm »
McCarthy plays hardball with GOP rebels ...

"Rebels"?  True freedom-loving Americans need to pray these "rebels" prevail and multiply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 06:09:59 pm »
"Rebels"?  True freedom-loving Americans need to pray these "rebels" prevail and multiply.

The Freedom Caucus actually boasts about 50 members.  I wonder why only 5 are being rowdy?  Should be more alignment IMO.  That would make the RINO McCarthy squirm.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 09:48:29 pm »
The Freedom Caucus actually boasts about 50 members.  I wonder why only 5 are being rowdy?  Should be more alignment IMO.  That would make the RINO McCarthy squirm.

Couldn't agree more with you @catfish1957   I'm starting to think the swamp seeps through the skin the longer one is in Washington.   **nononono*

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 10:05:49 pm »
Couldn't agree more with you @catfish1957   I'm starting to think the swamp seeps through the skin the longer one is in Washington.   **nononono*

I have thought that the air in D.C.  is infectious for a long time.  I truly believe that many newly elected officials go there like Mr. Smith...thinking they can make a difference. They quickly find out they can't and just join in the party instead.

Since I am in "dreamer mode" lately, lol, I would like to see the Federal lege meet bi-annually like they do here in Tx. After that they go home where their constituents live and resume their every day jobs.  If there is an emergency, call an emergency session. Let's face it...99 per cent of the time they are not working at what they are elected for.

This could have the added benefit of making AOC very happy....you know how expensive it is to live in D.C. :silly: