Author Topic: Political Graphics 2023  (Read 393606 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Political Graphics 2023
« Reply #3225 on: April 06, 2023, 08:59:08 pm »
If there was nothing special about FL hundreds of thousands wouldn't have moved here in such a short period of time.  DeSantis opened us up in phases ... it worked ... people flocked here.

The weather, our economy is booming and it's tax friendly for retirees; though from what I've seen younger people are moving in.  Housing is very affordable to those moving from up north or CA.

@libertybele

There is no mystery about  it. No snow,no state income tax,and affordable housing.

The problems arise when all the yankees moved south to take advantage of all this,and within a couple of years of living there,they want to change things to be just like they were back home,before they moved to Florida,causen  dey jist ain't enough taxes and deys jist too much of dat "freedum stuff" running round!"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 09:01:38 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3226 on: April 06, 2023, 09:00:42 pm »
@Kamaji

Not only that,but she was a VERY successful business woman 100+ years before today's dogma says such a thing was possible,due to "De white mans keepin de blak mans/wimmins doawn!"

I seriously doubt the history of this trailbreaker or even her name has ever been mentioned in any  public school in the country. It would generate too many questions and upset the dogma

More than that, it also stands against those arguing that women could own nothing and were kept down before the feminist movement - An argument made right here on this board.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3227 on: April 06, 2023, 09:05:06 pm »
More than that, it also stands against those arguing that women could own nothing and were kept down before the feminist movement - An argument made right here on this board.

In a number of states, that was in fact the law.  It's not just pansy-assed latter-day feminists making it up.  It also applied typically to married women, whose property frequently became that of the husband upon marriage.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3228 on: April 06, 2023, 09:20:49 pm »
In a number of states, that was in fact the law.  It's not just pansy-assed latter-day feminists making it up.  It also applied typically to married women, whose property frequently became that of the husband upon marriage.

The spin on that is the problem. Such things were familial in orientation, and not against the woman. The woman entered into the House. The House received the property. That the House received it in it's patriarch is how it was done - from time immemorial.

Had I the time and inclination, I would surely find examples in all the states of early women pioneers in business. I know I can go far back showing women inheriting the property of a deceased husband or father. Not always, but it happened. Especially here in the Western states.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3229 on: April 06, 2023, 09:25:06 pm »
@libertybele

There is no mystery about  it. No snow,no state income tax,and affordable housing.

The problems arise when all the yankees moved south to take advantage of all this,and within a couple of years of living there,they want to change things to be just like they were back home,before they moved to Florida,causen  dey jist ain't enough taxes and deys jist too much of dat "freedum stuff" running round!"

I'm hoping for the best, but with their liberal mindset @sneakypete there's no telling how things are going to go. 

We've contemplated moving out of state because of this last hurricane, but with both of use with health issues, it's just too much stress. And then there's the $$ issue  --- we are still making repairs on the house.  We took the monies that the insurance company gave us for a shingle roof and other repairs and used it for a metal roof so the other repairs needed are going to have to come out of pocket.  :shrug:

We've contemplated moving,
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3230 on: April 06, 2023, 10:09:40 pm »
I'm hoping for the best, but with their liberal mindset @sneakypete there's no telling how things are going to go. 

We've contemplated moving out of state because of this last hurricane, but with both of use with health issues, it's just too much stress. And then there's the $$ issue  --- we are still making repairs on the house.  We took the monies that the insurance company gave us for a shingle roof and other repairs and used it for a metal roof so the other repairs needed are going to have to come out of pocket.  :shrug:

@libertybele

I know nothing about you and your family,but I am ASSUMING you are senior citizens. If you  are,you need to be aware that pulling up roots after you have settled down and moving somewhere else can be VERY stressful,which  means it can be dangerous for senior citizens.

Plus,I can guarantee you that there IS going to be SOMETHING you hate where every you move,so you are just chasing one nightmare for another.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3231 on: April 06, 2023, 10:12:48 pm »
The spin on that is the problem. Such things were familial in orientation, and not against the woman. The woman entered into the House. The House received the property. That the House received it in it's patriarch is how it was done - from time immemorial.

Had I the time and inclination, I would surely find examples in all the states of early women pioneers in business. I know I can go far back showing women inheriting the property of a deceased husband or father. Not always, but it happened. Especially here in the Western states.

No, actually, the husband as such received the property.  He could do with it as he pleased, sometimes subject to some duty of care, and she could do nothing.  She lost her patrimony if she brought anything to the marriage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3232 on: April 06, 2023, 10:13:47 pm »

Well, here's one:
Nellie Davis Ross (née Tayloe; November 29, 1876 – December 19, 1977) was an American educator and politician who served as the 14th governor of Wyoming from 1925 to 1927, and as the 28th and first female director of the United States Mint from 1933 to 1953.

Keep in mind that many of the customs and practices out west, culturally, were actually holdovers from the 'old country' be it Ireland, Germany, Norway, Ukraine, or Sweden, to name a few. The French were here early, and the Brits, and there was some mingling with the established locals, too, after things settled down a mite. But beyond all that, the bottom line was that it took the whole family, working as a team, to eke out a living on the plains or up in the hills, and if they were really good, somewhat fortunate, and careful with their resources, they flourished. But when someone was out of the picture, whoever could stepped up to fill the gap, and the womenfolk did yeoman's work there.

In the cities and on the coasts, things may have been a bit more regimented, but on the western frontier it has long been what works. Many of the women who stepped into their husband's  boots at his passing, did well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3233 on: April 06, 2023, 10:21:09 pm »

Moving sucks, and it isn't always a viable option if you're established. I pray whatever you decide, it works out best.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3234 on: April 06, 2023, 10:24:56 pm »
@libertybele

I know nothing about you and your family,but I am ASSUMING you are senior citizens. If you  are,you need to be aware that pulling up roots after you have settled down and moving somewhere else can be VERY stressful,which  means it can be dangerous for senior citizens.

Plus,I can guarantee you that there IS going to be SOMETHING you hate where every you move,so you are just chasing one nightmare for another.

Yes we are considered senior citizens and the last move we made was very stressful and I vowed to never move again.

You are probably right; we'd be chasing one nightmare for another.  Time for us to stay put I guess @sneakypete

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3235 on: April 06, 2023, 10:26:51 pm »
Our economy is booming. We rank #4 in fiscal fitness.  We are a tax friendly state.  Our governor is a Conservative and honors and respects the Constitution.

I find it comical that you keep harping on DeSantis and still see him as a threat.

Your economy is booming in majority parts due to tourism and agriculture.  Personal income tax was repealed in 1855.  All 26 Republican governors respect the Constitution.

Florida went Republican in 2016 and 2020, has not elected a democrat Governor since 1994.

Personally, I find it comical that you expect no one's going to scratch the surface of your governor's shiny talking points.  @libertybele

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3236 on: April 06, 2023, 10:27:02 pm »
What is accomplished by denying en toto the fact that, prior to laws such as the Married Womens Property Acts, in many places, married women had few, if any, property rights, particularly as against their husbands?

Why fly in the face of history in attempting to score some minor little ideological point? 

The basic fact of the matter is that historically, women, qua women, and particularly qua married women, suffered from substantial civil disabilities solely because of their sex and marital status?

That is a fact of history.  The fact that the history was not uniform, but more checkered in terms of time, place, and individuals, does not change the underlying fact.

The fact that a number of the older states were compelled to enact Married Womens Property Laws, coupled with the fact that the younger western states, learning from the mistakes made by their older brethren, felt compelled to enshrine in their state constitutions the right of women to own property without regard to their marital status is more than sufficient proof that it was, in fact, a serious problem in the U.S., and not just some made-up unicorn fart from 1960s feminists.

The reason you, in the west, can recite those cute little anecdotes about Auntie Mae who owned a cowboy saloon all by her lonesome is precisely because, by the time those areas became inhabited territories and then states, the eastern states had already gone through the process of fighting the old guard on that issue, and the old guard had lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3237 on: April 06, 2023, 10:30:18 pm »
What is accomplished by denying en toto the fact that, prior to laws such as the Married Womens Property Acts, in many places, married women had few, if any, property rights, particularly as against their husbands?

Why fly in the face of history in attempting to score some minor little ideological point? 

The basic fact of the matter is that historically, women, qua women, and particularly qua married women, suffered from substantial civil disabilities solely because of their sex and marital status?

That is a fact of history.  The fact that the history was not uniform, but more checkered in terms of time, place, and individuals, does not change the underlying fact.

The fact that a number of the older states were compelled to enact Married Womens Property Laws, coupled with the fact that the younger western states, learning from the mistakes made by their older brethren, felt compelled to enshrine in their state constitutions the right of women to own property without regard to their marital status is more than sufficient proof that it was, in fact, a serious problem in the U.S., and not just some made-up unicorn fart from 1960s feminists.

The reason you, in the west, can recite those cute little anecdotes about Auntie Mae who owned a cowboy saloon all by her lonesome is precisely because, by the time those areas became inhabited territories and then states, the eastern states had already gone through the process of fighting the old guard on that issue, and the old guard had lost.
I'm not denying that those laws existed, more in some places than others.

But keep in mind the slaves were freed 65 years before women could vote...

Free, white, male, 21, and a property owner were the original requirements.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3238 on: April 06, 2023, 10:31:28 pm »
Your economy is booming in majority parts due to tourism and agriculture.  Personal income tax was repealed in 1855.  All 26 Republican governors respect the Constitution.

Florida went Republican in 2016 and 2020, has not elected a democrat Governor since 1994.

Personally, I find it comical that you expect no one's going to scratch the surface of your governor's shiny talking points.  @libertybele

I'm well aware of the election of Republican and DEM governors.  I've been down here  32 years.

Our economy isn't booming just because of tourism and agriculture -- tourism has been down in past years due to hurricanes, red tide and other calamities of nature.

Our economy is booming because we are considered a 'free state' -- thank you Governor DeSantis.

You can try to pick apart DeSantis, but his record speaks for itself. He is a conservative and very popular.   happy77 :patriot:

Offline berdie

« Reply #3239 on: April 06, 2023, 10:51:32 pm »

Thank you @Kamaji for this post. These things are true. Of course there were some exceptions, but they were not the rule in the early days...and even thru the 70's. Just because a person didn't experience this...doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3240 on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:16 pm »

But keep in mind the slaves were freed 65 years before women could vote...

Free, white, male, 21, and a property owner were the original requirements.

This is true...but I am free (somewhat in today's world) white, way over 21, female and an owner of considerable property. Not inherited property...property I purchased on my own. What happens to us?

I understand there are lots of liberal women that taint us...not all should have the shade of their craziness over us. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3241 on: April 07, 2023, 03:34:50 am »
Well, here's one:
Keep in mind that many of the customs and practices out west, culturally, were actually holdovers from the 'old country' be it Ireland, Germany, Norway, Ukraine, or Sweden, to name a few. The French were here early, and the Brits, and there was some mingling with the established locals, too, after things settled down a mite. But beyond all that, the bottom line was that it took the whole family, working as a team, to eke out a living on the plains or up in the hills, and if they were really good, somewhat fortunate, and careful with their resources, they flourished. But when someone was out of the picture, whoever could stepped up to fill the gap, and the womenfolk did yeoman's work there.

In the cities and on the coasts, things may have been a bit more regimented, but on the western frontier it has long been what works. Many of the women who stepped into their husband's  boots at his passing, did well.

That's right. I can swing a dead cat out here and hit someone whose granny had to step up when the old man died, and raised up sons to run the ranch, Doing it all.

But you can't tell folks its that way, and always has been... Kinda like telling folks that there is such a thing as redneck blacks and mexicans...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3242 on: April 07, 2023, 10:44:17 am »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3243 on: April 07, 2023, 10:49:21 am »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3244 on: April 07, 2023, 10:50:00 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3245 on: April 07, 2023, 10:53:21 am »

Makes me glad I quit drinking back in '89.

My only regret is that my not purchasing their products now will not make a dent in their sales.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3246 on: April 07, 2023, 11:06:49 am »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3247 on: April 07, 2023, 11:07:33 am »

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #3248 on: April 07, 2023, 11:20:52 am »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #3249 on: April 07, 2023, 11:28:41 am »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote