Author Topic: Secrets of Sunspots and Solar Magnetic Fields Investigated in NASA Supercomputing Simulations  (Read 219 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Secrets of Sunspots and Solar Magnetic Fields Investigated in NASA Supercomputing Simulations
7 hours ago Charles Rotter 14 Comments
From NASA

This simulation shows the zonal flow patterns inside the Sun. Flow acceleration is shown in red, and deceleration in blue. The inner sphere shows the bottom of the convection zone. The study of these flows in the deep interior of the Sun through analysis of helioseismology data and numerical simulations helps to understand the processes of magnetic field generation and the origin of solar magnetic cycles.

The Sun is much more than just a source of light for Earth – it’s a dynamic and complex star, with storms, flares, and movement causing it to change constantly. Magnetic fields govern most of the solar activity we can observe but how they do this is still poorly understood. New results based on simulations out of NASA’s Advanced Supercomputing facility at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley are painting a more complete picture of one of the most prominent magnetically-driven solar features – a cycle of sunspot formation known as a “torsional oscillation.”

A computational analysis of data about the Sun’s structure and dynamics from two NASA spacecraft has revealed the strength of these torsional oscillations driven by the magnetic fields in the deep interior of the Sun are continuing to decline. This indicates that the current sunspot cycle may be weaker than the previous one, and the long-term trend of declining magnetic fields of the Sun is likely to continue. Such changes in the Sun’s interior may have impacts on space weather and the Earth’s atmosphere and climate.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/12/01/secrets-of-sunspots-and-solar-magnetic-fields-investigated-in-nasa-supercomputing-simulations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
There is no doubt NASA will determine sunspots are caused by global warming.  000hehehehe
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
There is no doubt NASA will determine sunspots are caused by global warming.  000hehehehe

Not likely, because that would be the truth, and not due to mininscule impact of human activity or hydrocarbon use...

Look at the data of sunspot activity vs. global temperatures. 1st graph, 180 years, 2nd one...  over 400 years. 

And sadly, obviously data is not there for a 1000 years ago, when it was so warm the Vikings successfully colonized Greenland

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.