Author Topic: Growing number of rural Texas counties declare immigration 'disasters'  (Read 146 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. NEWS DEC. 1, 2022 / 8:04 AM
Growing number of rural Texas counties declare immigration 'disasters'
By Pooja Salhotra, The Texas Tribune

SULPHUR SPRINGS, Texas, Dec. 1 (UPI) -- More than 500 miles separate Hopkins County from the Texas-Mexico border.

The distance did not stop the county commissioners from declaring a "local state of disaster" caused by an "invasion" of immigrants.

Hopkins County Judge Robert Newsom signed the resolution in mid-November at a county commissioner's meeting in Sulphur Springs, 90 miles northeast of Dallas. Hopkins County is the latest to speak out about the situation at the border.

"The health, safety and welfare of Hopkins County residents are under an imminent threat of disaster from the unprecedented levels of illegal immigration, human trafficking and drug smuggling coming across the U.S. border from Mexico," the declaration states.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/12/01/6421669899187/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson