Author Topic: Should Fine Arts and Communications Qualify as STEM Degrees?  (Read 256 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Should Fine Arts and Communications Qualify as STEM Degrees?
« on: November 29, 2022, 04:22:37 pm »
Should Fine Arts and Communications Qualify as STEM Degrees?

The U.S. government offers international graduates of STEM programs extended work visas. Now that some unconventional degrees qualify, some argue that the educational visa system is broken.

Susan D'Agostino
November 29, 2022

Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security expanded opportunities for international students who have earned U.S. degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics to extend their stays in the United States.

The government maintains a list of qualifying fields to try to expand the number and diversity of individuals in the United States who contribute to competitive STEM fields. Many of the 22 new qualifying fields of study on the updated government list, including general forestry, cloud computing and geobiology, fall within conventional understanding of STEM fields. Others, such as human-centered technology design and data visualization, live in the intersection of science and the arts.

Since colleges vary in the language they use to identify degree programs, they are welcome to align their course outcomes to DHS curriculum requirements and make the case that their degrees warrant inclusion on the STEM Designated Degree Program List.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/11/29/fine-arts-communications-degrees-qualify-stem-immigrants
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Should Fine Arts and Communications Qualify as STEM Degrees?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 04:26:16 pm »
In a word?  No.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 04:27:35 pm »
Should finishing middle school qualify immigrants for H.S. School diplomas?  Should a H.S. Diploma qualify immigrants as bachelor's degrees?  That would mean real bachelor's degrees should become PHDs for immigrants.  I have a better idea, just get rid of the whole system rather than play such games. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 04:50:13 pm »
No.
Next question?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org