Author Topic: U.S. Black Friday online sales hit record $9 bln despite high inflation- Adobe Analytics  (Read 639 times)

Offline libertybele

U.S. Black Friday online sales hit record $9 bln despite high inflation- Adobe Analytics

U.S. shoppers spent a record $9.12 billion online this Black Friday, a report showed on Saturday, as consumers weathered the squeeze from high inflation and grabbed steep discounts on everything from smartphones to toys.

Online spending rose 2.3% on Black Friday, Adobe Inc's (ADBE.O) data and insights arm Adobe Analytics said, thanks to consumers holding out for discounts until the traditionally big shopping days, despite deals starting as early as October.

Adobe Analytics, which measures e-commerce by analyzing transactions at websites, has access to data covering purchases at 85% of the top 100 internet retailers in the United States..................

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/adobe-says-black-friday-online-sales-hit-record-9-bln-2022-11-26/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

Is that 2.3% adjusted for inflation???

If it hasn't then spending is down at least 5%.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Is that 2.3% adjusted for inflation???

If it hasn't then spending is down at least 5%.

That was my thought, despite inflation or because of inflation? Of course there will always be those that charge huge debt to their credit cards and give either no thought to the future or with the intention of skipping paying by declaring bankruptcy.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It was reported lots more online purchase came from CC than debit cards.  Not a good sign.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

It was reported lots more online purchase came from CC than debit cards.  Not a good sign.

Oh I don't know... I seldom use my actual bank account online. Just to pay utilities and the odd Instacart. Better to use something a step or two removed from actual money - A credit card or paypal, etc.

Offline libertybele

Well, it depends I guess how you look at it, credit cards at least offer some sort of fraud protection. Or you can look at it as people are using credit in lieu of available funds.  :shrug:

Either way this economy stinks.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

I only use a credit card online, never a debt card.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"CBS reports Americans spent more than $9 billion online on Black Friday.  "Due to soaring inflation, many spent more — but received less."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1596898673446617090

Offline Kamaji

Why is that a bad thing?   There’s more protection for CC fraud than for debit card fraud, so it makes more sense to use a CC rather than a DC. 

Online DB

Why is that a bad thing?   There’s more protection for CC fraud than for debit card fraud, so it makes more sense to use a CC rather than a DC.

The primary difference is any fraud on a debt card comes straight out of your bank account when it happens. It could clean you out. You have to file a dispute with the bank to get your money back and it will take time to get resolved while you are out the money and perhaps unable to pay your bills. With a credit card the money is paid against a credit account and you don't normally end up paying anything if reported in a timely manner.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I think the discussion over CC versus debit card and fraud issues misses the mark that a lot of people using CC will not be able to pay them off due to sky high interest rates and inflation, to me that is the reason CC are more dangerous to use than debit cards. I believe we will see soaring bankruptcy rates in the coming years. I am actually glad that my past and continuing financial situation makes me unable to get a credit card, it has forced me to plan purchases rather than make emotional ones. I grant you that having a credit card for emergencies is nice and maybe sometime in the future I might qualify for one, but to use it to make regular purchase for non necessities? never again.