Author Topic: THE BIAS FOR CAPABILITY OVER CAPACITY HAS CREATED A BRITTLE FORCE  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE BIAS FOR CAPABILITY OVER CAPACITY HAS CREATED A BRITTLE FORCE
MACKENZIE EAGLENNOVEMBER 17, 2022

The military brass has been sounding the alarm about the imminence of a potential Chinese attack on Taiwan. But this urgency is not reflected in the Pentagon’s budget. Last month, the Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. Mike Gilday, said he needs to prepare his service for potential aggression against Taiwan this year. But by prioritizing capability over capacity in its spending, Washington risks inviting the aggression it seeks to deter.

Over the past nine fiscal years, budget after budget has traded away combat power, truncated needed weapons early, and permanently closed production lines. As a result, margins in the force are dangerously low, readiness is still recovering, and America’s conventional and nuclear deterrents are at their nadir. Yet Pentagon leaders continue to sacrifice capacity, as measured by fleets, inventories, and their associated force structure, in the fervent belief that Beijing will not attempt to forcibly reunify Taiwan in the next five years. 

This rosy assumption flies in the face of China’s recent actions and ignores the reality that robust capacity is what the United States needs to bolster deterrence and avoid the war that the United States seeks to win later. Pentagon leaders would be wise to better balance investments for deterrence and the warfight before both are weakened. If military leaders truly believe Beijing is prepared to act sooner than anticipated, they should focus on what can be built and fielded in this decade.

2027 Is Here and Now for Pentagon Bureaucracy

ontherocks.com/2022/11/the-bias-for-capability-over-capacity-has-created-a-brittle-force/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: THE BIAS FOR CAPABILITY OVER CAPACITY HAS CREATED A BRITTLE FORCE
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:21:08 am »
Quantity has a quality all its own.

Any system can be overwhelmed it assaulted by the sheer force of enough numbers.

Something worth remembering when facing an opponent with no regard for the lives of their individual combatants.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis