Author Topic: Electric Vehicle Makers Are Quietly Switching to a Battery Type That Has Even Less Driving Range  (Read 244 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
OPINION US NEWS
Electric Vehicle Makers Are Quietly Switching to a Battery Type That Has Even Less Driving Range
Abby Liebing, The Western Journal   By Abby Liebing, The Western Journal
Published November 15, 2022 at 3:55pm

As more car manufacturers race to try to produce electric cars, the cost of the batteries to power these cars can be prohibitive. But many manufacturers are considering using a cheaper kind of battery in order to cut costs and enable more production.

However, though using a cheaper kind of battery would be more cost-efficient, the battery range of vehicles would decrease, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The typical batteries used in American and European EVs are lithium-ion batteries. But these are made with very expensive materials such as cobalt, nickel and lithium, Reuters reported.

These materials have never been cheap, but the price has continued to increase over the last few years.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/electric-vehicle-makers-quietly-switching-battery-type-even-less-driving-range
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Just watched a video, an EV pickup, that couldn't even tow an empty trailer without killing it's range. I told my wife I'd be the last one to buy an EV. Not that I wouldn't buy one. I'd be the last one. I'll let other people take that risk, haha. Personally I think they're a scam. I don't know a single person who has one.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS0Fdayj8Y

No thanks.
Yeah, but the EV truck has lots of room under the hood for the gas generator it will need to charge the batteries when they are expended. Now that's thinking ahead by the vehicle designers :silly: